Side Play in Diff Pinion shaft.

Guest Corsaman

Guest Corsaman

Does anyone have any knowledge of what is or is not acceptable with Side Play in the Diff Pinion Shaft on a '03 Rosso Corsa? it has travelled 10,000km's.

It does not have any end float, but when you grab the universal and move it from side to side the pinion shaft has movement in the diff housing, and you can also hear a slight clunking noise.

Definintely read Pete's post.

Any of the blind bearings that need to come out will fall out easy with the application of heat. I will be sneaking mine into the misses oven when I put mine all back together.

My pinion shaft nose bearing was also a little chewed up. Also found that the pinion gear itself had some pitting on the teeth where the ring gear meshes. Did not like the look of that so I will try and shim the whole lot just a little different and see if that will help. A new factory ring and pinion lists for almost a 1000.00$us.

I took my bevel box apart for different reasons...I'm having everything that moves..ie...bearings,ring gear,pinion gear as well as all the bearings, gears,shafts,shift forksetc..in the gear box coated with Micro Blue( www dot microblueonline dot com).Good stuff !!! :bier:

And if you read this Pete...Whenever you get a six speed box apart I think you will find some broken needle bearing cages under the gears themselve. These INA bearings are crap in my opinion and I have replace them all with a different manufacturer. :grin:

andy

INA bearing info noted :D

Thanks mate, look, I make no claims to knowing squat about V11's but having been around Guzzis for longer than some riders have been alive I'd be more than happy to believe that Guzzi would cheap out on bearings :blink: One of the problems we have in an age whre you are expected to pay $20,000 for a 'Consumer Durable' that is not :huh2:

Pete