Tipped over in a parking lot.

F344

Hi Guys,

Bad news, while I was at the bank today someone hit my bike and tipped it over. The damage isn't too bad, I'm gonna need a new tail piece and some kick stand parts.

Munroe Motors in San Francisco might have the actual stand bar, but I am going to have to wait for a stand bracket. Do you guys think that I can hammer my bent stand bracket into shape enough to use it till my new one comes? (It might be months.)

I thought I saw something a while ago about a Centaruo stand fitting a V11. Does anybody remember if that is true?

Never a dull moment.

Frank

Also, a bit of trivia. The stand arm and bracket are going to run around $300 US. That and $700 for a tail piece, I'm thinking about just buying another V11 for parts :)

Stand_Arm.jpg

Stand_Bracket__2_.jpg

The earlier Sport stands do not have a spot for the sidestand switch. Depending upon the manufacture date, they may be subject to fracture failure. That said, I think I have an old one out in my garage you can have. I'd take the stand itself to a blacksmith or a welders shop and have them heat it and straighten it out (because it's a cheap and near term solution). Farm implement repair shops are a good location for blacksmith queries.

Contact Pete Morcombe at Reboot Guzzi Spares for spare parts.

The broken out tapped hole in the sump spacer is not included in your report. I'll bet that won't be a freebie. A reputable weld shop should be able to fix you up.

44907[/snapback]

Honestly, considering the quality of MG castings (poor), I would use JB Weld or buy a new sump spacer.

Thanks Guys,

No the person didn't stop, no one saw it and no cameras... Oh well.

The broken threads only go about half the depth, so I think I'll still be able to get a bite on them.

Thanks for the offer Carl. I think I'll be able to get my hands on the stand part pretty quick. I'm mainly worried about the wait for the bracket. I'm going to stop by the Guzzi dealer Friday and see what we can come up with.

Frank

Let me clarify that. It's the bracket that I have, not the arm. No matter. It's a bracket from a 1996 carb sport and it is flimsier and even further forward than what you had. THe ONLY mount point it has is that same bolt hole that's damaged on yours. I can just visualize using this poor excuse for a sidestand bracket and having the bike fall over after five minutes because the remaining threads stripped from the stress.

Thanks Guys,

No the person didn't stop, no one saw it and no cameras... Oh well.

The broken threads only go about half the depth, so I think I'll still be able to get a bite on them.

Thanks for the offer Carl.  I think I'll be able to get my hands on the stand part pretty quick.  I'm mainly worried about the wait for the bracket.  I'm going to stop by the Guzzi dealer Friday and see what we can come up with.

Frank

44933[/snapback]

Frank,

I'm really sorry to hear about this... and I know how you feel. Someone rammed into my Suburban a couple months back, left with ~$2k worth of damage, and drove away.

My only silver lining is that based upon the paint transfer, and the "durability" of my old truck.... I know their vehicle took some serious damage as well.

Oh, and the guy that ran our 8 month old Honda Pilot off the highway at 70mph in SoCal, along with a Porsche?? ...turns out that he had no insurance... nice :glare:

Well, anyway, really sorry to hear abou this.

Check with Reboot Guzzi Spares for a spare sump spacer. I don't think you want the weight of the bike on half a threaded socket.

al