Question for Scura owner...

Guest Darth Maul

Guest Darth Maul

I have put about 600km on the new Scura recently.

I find the bike is very nice to ride on a smooth road but when it comes to back road it sucks. exactly what was discribe by Cycle World Magazine.

Kinda disapointed when you know its a Ohlin down there isn't it... ? :wacko:

i feel the bike tend to bottom out when you hit a pot hole. Does any of U feel this way... or its just me....???

I am thinkin of increasing the rear preload .... has anyone of U did it yet...???

And does it help...???

Non Scura owners are welcome to comment as well.

regards

Francis

VTR1000SP1

VFR800Vtec

V11 Scura

Todd Eagan's article also on that page is helpful.

I was reluctant to increase the preload on my v11s because I thought the suspension would be too hard. But, to my suprise it was more comfortable, because it allowed for more travel and stopped bottoming out so easily. I did not know how much I was bottoming out until after increasing the preload.

The Ohlins of course are different.

I suspect they use the same spring and damping rates as on the much lighter Ducatis.

So more damping and preload is necessary.

Keep in mind that the front and rear should be set to nearly identical settings.

Push down on the front and notice the rebound time. Push down on the rear and notice the rebound time. The push down effort and rebound time should be similar.

Here is another good article on suspension setup:

http://www.racebikesite.com/motorcycle-mod...difications.htm

I was reluctant to increase the preload on my v11s because I thought the suspension would be too hard.

This is a popular misconception that increasing preload makes suspension harder; in reality the spring rate is the spring rate always the same.

By changing your preload all you do is varying where your suspension sits between extremities of its travel. That is all. The suspension is all the same otherwise no matter how much preload you set in.

I added two full turns to the rear preload. But I do ride two up normally. I will try and find where I wrote down my s. settings and let you know. The stock settings work great if you are riding on a very smooth surface at high speeds, i.e. test tracks; on the street they stink. I do know that I am set at the min compression on the rear though. The Cycle World article points you in the right direction. Have fun tinkering.

'02 Scura, 9,000miles in Scottish Highlands and through Alps, both solo and two-up. The Ohlins supplied settings are great - very stable on all road surfaces. However, I have twice found the rear shock and steering damper "misteriously" adjusted! (steering damper caused a nasty weave around 100mph) I have now marked the adjustment wheels so I can quickly check for signs of tampering. Check your settings (Ohlins manual).

Roberto.

'02 Scura

'88 Le Mans V (125,000 miles! and still great)

'83 XR500