Chicago

jrt

So the wife and I are going to Chitown for a couple of days this next week. Any good Blues bars or Jazz bars we should see? Anyone want to meet for a drink? Mar 14 or 15...

Thanks,

Jason

A can't miss is Buddy Guy's Legends. BB king also has a club on the near S. side, but I can't recall the name of it. You can expect to see excellent performers in these popular spots.

It's been a while since I've been back but the last time I was there, you could pay a single cover and hop among the smaller clubs in the Lincoln Park area on the North side. Some of these clubs are very small and don't have big-name acts, but all good bands and the atmosphere is usually very lively.

I have heard that the west side has less touristy blues clubs these days, but I haven't been to any.

club listing

Hopefully someone who still lives there can provide some more details.

Chicago is a great city. If you like art, check out the art institute. The Museum of Science and Industry is also a must if you like that sort of thing. And don't forget to sample some deep dish pizza.

Sorry Antonio- I didn't see Johnny Winter (I looked, too). Did see some decent blues, some good jazz and and some museum action. If you're not squeamish, check out 'body worlds' exhibit when it comes to a museum near you.

http://www.msichicago.org/bodyworlds/index.html

Here's a tip- parking in Chicago is stupid expensive- as bad or worse than San Fran. Take public transportation.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Jason

If you're not squeamish, check out 'body worlds' exhibit when it comes to a museum near you.

http://www.msichicago.org/bodyworlds/index.html

Von Hagens had a week long TV show over here last month. A bit macarbe and gruesome meet the childrens christmas science lectures. I thought it was apealing to peoples morbid curiosity. But each to his own. I suppose some people would have learnt something new from it, which can only be a good thing, unless they start doing impromptue autopsies.

In person, it doesn't look that real, nor was it all that gruesome. The tissue has been replaced with polymers- they are dry and a 'flat' finish- not like real muscles/nerves/etc. at all. They mostly look like very, very realistic and detailed models, which of course they are.

I didn't learn all that much from it (had a LOT of courses in physiology), but to see the relationships between the various organs, and to see how all that stuff is packed in was cool. Most interesting to me was the blood system, which is very delicate and reminded me of fractals. He managed to keep the shape of the vessels down to about 0.5 mm. Blood follows nerve tissue, so you could see the really delicate stuff and make out fingertips for example.

...ok, reading your note again...maybe a week of it would get a bit gruesome. An hour or so in a museum was just intersting.

I got a picture of Craig Breedlove's 'Spirit of America' that I'll try to post up sometime. Damn, that's a big ship.

J