Which Muffler Should Al Get?

al_roethlisberger

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Muffler Should Al Get?

• - Titanium goes well with Champagne
    • - Carbon is the only way to go

AH HAH!! I was looking at Paul's new tail carapace, and his pic from the rear confirms my suspicions... and has identially uneven hangars like mine :bike:

...*sigh*, although I was kinda hoping my left-one was an accidental pre-2002 so I could get a matchingly bent left hangar under warrantee :wacko:

Anyway, that mystery is solved. I'll just have to shim the Leo's and their brackets accordingly, or maybe even shim the left hangar to get them spot-on even.

Paul's Champagne 2002 LeMans from the rear

al

AH HAH!!  I was looking at Paul's new tail carapace, and his pic from the rear confirms my suspicions... and has identially uneven hangars like mine  :bike:

...*sigh*, although I was kinda hoping my left-one was an accidental pre-2002 so I could get a matchingly bent left hangar under warrantee  :wacko:

Anyway, that mystery is solved.  I'll just have to shim the Leo's and their brackets accordingly, or maybe even shim the left hangar to get them spot-on even.

Paul's Champagne 2002 LeMans from the rear

al

The whole swingarm is also uneven - it's just the nature of the beast since the rear drive has to be accomodated. What you gonna do about that then?

I just went out and measured the silencer off-set on my 2001 V11TT. Approximately 1/2 inch closer inboard for the left side. Not too surprising. The V11 spine frame inherited the engine off-set to the right that was used originally to clear the rear tire on the Sport 1100i. 1.4 centimeters or... .55 inches. Looking at the photos of Al and Paul's LeMans though, it would appear that the left side is significantly depressed inwards compared to the right. Functionally, it doesn't mean anything. I suspect that it is nothing more than a sloppy jig used at time of construction for the left footpeg/silencer bracket. Visually, that bracket appears to be far more vertical or inwards than the one one the right. My V11 doesn't have the same amount of difference, but it is there. What I don't understand is why the V11 LeMans construction should differ from that of the V11 Sport in that area, unless the 2002 V11 Sports also show this inwards positioned bracket. If the 2002 models all have this, then it is almost certainly a change in the jig used to align parts prior to welding. It is a little disturbing to have such an obvious lack of balance visually, but at least it is only esthetic.

Well, my le mans '01 had an accident, and dropped on the left silencer, so it's position is not as it should be. I compared the hangers, the differ 10mm in offset. The swingarm from the V11 series is 20 mm wider on the right than the 1100sport/centauro/daytona swingarm. So the silencer has to go out more there, where even on a 1100 sport it's not symetrical. I don't believe the swingarm of the first v11 's has less width than the 5.5inch wheeled versions.

The frame is 8milimeter wider on the right than the left.

So 8mm + 20mm+ 10mm= 38mm more on the right than the left.

So that does look asymetrical.

Can't hide it.

From my observations of many V11's, both Sports, Scura's and Le Mans, they are all asymetrical regarding the orientation of the muffler/pillion footrest mounts. When I put a set of carbon round Mistral's on a friend's 2001 V11 Sport, I was surprised at how symetrical the finished bike looked from the rear. Apparently, the way the muffler pipes were bent caused the right muffler to be angled in just slightly more than the left one, which resulted in the increased left/right visual balance.

This is just my observation. YMMV, and all that...

Ride well. Ride safe.

-Jack Price

Glendale, CA

02 V11 Le Mans (33k plus now)

01 KTM Duke II

Al, buy the damn Titanium LeoVinces already, or I'm going to convince Carl and Mike to sneak over and paint you stock cans titanium! :lol:

But really, last I knew Indigo Sports (the US importer of LeoVince) had a set of titanium cans in stock for the LeMans. For best price check out:

www.pipecity.com (1-800-391-2571)

I just ordered an aftermarket TwoBrothers can from them for my Triumph, and their price includes shipping and no tax to California. Their price was the best I could find, and their service was excellent.

Best Wishes :bier:

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull

Here's my experience with carbon cans and carbon fiber in general. If it has a resin or clear coat over it (smooth to the touch), a good coat of wax goes a long way to keeping them looking good. If it doesn't have a smooth finish and you can feel the weave of the carbon, you're going to be SOL in a couple of years. There's really no way to taking care of them.

After my spill, my right exhaust was pushed in a bit. With some brute force, it can be made even again. No biggie. Actually, I was tempted to drop the bike on the left side too in an attempt to make them even, as I liked the "pushed in" position better! :lol:

*laugh*.... yeah, well I finally got the stars aligned yesterday and got the bike up to the shop about 20 mintues before they closed :P

I don't know at this point if we'll ever find the real reason my bike hasn't been running, as by the time they do the complete list of things I've got for them.... too much will have been tinkered with.

The Leo's are ordered, in titanium, so now it'll just be a wait-and-see affair. However, I did temporarily mount a single titanium Arrow can that they had lying around, and although the finish on the Arrow is more "brushed" and shiny than the "matte" or "satin" finish on the Leo's, it did look quite nice. I'm thinking that the finish on the Leo's may end up a bit more gray than platinum-toned like the Arrow, which may or may not be as good a match... but I'll only know once I have them on the bike.

...I'll let you know, and post a photo as soon as possible.

al