Buying a used bike up in Canada

Guest Aughtsix

Guest Aughtsix

What all's involved in buying a used bike up in Canada and getting it back down to the States?

Is it as simple as flying up there, buying the bike and riding in home?

Where I live there is no smog testing, so I doubt that emissions testing would be a problem. I need some collective wisdom here.

Steve

I can't see how big of a deal it will be until you get back. You will need to visit your local DMV and have it titled in the US shouldn't be a big deal. but then buy tabs and pay taxes on it (BOO :moon: ) So expect to pay the sales tax and more for a title and tabs. I don't know if you will save a lot of money on this or not but good luck.

Do not assume you can just cross the border with a vehicle these days. To stop stolen vehicles being sent to different jurisdictiions, where stolen status cannot be traced, there have been new steps adopted by both federal governments. Assume that you must do what a Canadian must now do when purchasing a bike from the U.S. . We must first check to see if the vehicle is allowed into our country by checking the Federal DMV to see if it's allowed in our country. We must inform U.S. Customs. And quite importantly, we must transfer ownership of the machine in the U.S., to confirm to Canadian Customs that we own the machine. That may involve purchasing temporary insurance in the foreign country. Also, in our country, there is a waiting time before confirmation, and then it must be safety checked by the one firm in Canada that is contracted by Canada Transport, and you guessed it, Canadian Tire.

Do all the steps, and it is easy. Omit any, and beware the wrath of a Federal Civil Servant [Oh my God!].

Ciao, Steve G.

Humm,

I guess where in the States you live. In California it might be a bigger deal.

Even when I bought a used bike out of state, going down to the local California DMV was nerve racking. They will check out the bike to make sure all the smog stuff is on the bike, including the smog hose label.

Mike

Guest Aughtsix

Hmmm. Why can't these things be simple...

Sounds like it may end up costing more in the long run than it's worth.

Steve