V11 push start?

velofish

Read in another post about a gentleman push starting his LeMans after the battery went dead. I thought this was a good way to fry the computer. Yes? No?

Just like to know before I screw something up.

TIA, John

well, not meaning to hijack this thread into a relay discussion but..... I've had a very intermittant problem where I've got full electrics and fully charged battery and all I get is a click when I push the starter.

As a result I've bump started the V11 about 12 times over the last 2 months.. Then magically it will electric start the next day..

Dunno about frying the computer, it runs fine. However I will give you this very strong warning. When bump starting if you plan on sitting down hard on the seat as you release the clutch for added rear grip, please make sure your ass hits the padded seat and not the extremely rigid cowl. Failure to do so results in a bruised tailbone, which is not a very pleasant experience. Trust me.. :bbblll:

Guest rrbasso

I have never heard of bump starting a bike hurting any thing ? Except your body by pushing the bike :bike:

Are you guys talking about jump starting with another running vehicle and jumper cables, or bump starting it by running with it and popping the clutch out to spin the engine? I can't see how bump starting it could cause any problem, but jumping it with another {running} vehicle? Hell yes!

Ciao, Steve G.

I was talking about push starting the bike, i.e.- running along the bike, jumping on, and dumping the clutch. I think some folks call it bump starting. I used to do this when the old bikes had dead batteries. I had heard that this was a serious no-no with the newer bikes because of the reasons that Tex stated. Of course, I have also heard antecdotal reports that people had done it with no problems. :(

I am not going to do it. My luck suppply is low at the best of times, and I need all I can get.

Thanks for responses

John

If there is enough battery to operate even the tiniest light, the battery should absorb the surge from the alternator. If the battery is 'deader than a door nail' the surge can destroy the sensitive electronics. I've bump started my bikes several times. There was enough juice to run the fuel pump but, when I hit the starter button, all I got was a grinding click from the starter.

I've got a little slope to the driveway, so have tried bump starting to get away without waking up the misses. All I've got to say is that it don't work to good in 2nd gear, next time will try 3rd.

Put a transil diode in and don't worry about surges.

]

Carl blew a big hole in this transil diode thing awhile back . He basicaly said you don't need one if you have everything grounded right.

" What we have here is a failure to communicate " Completely dead battery.. don't bump start it's a bad idea.

Battery with some juice... Ok , but don't make a habit out of this. Get it Fixed .

The problem seems to be that a good battery is need for the regulator to do its job. Sounds strange doesn't it.

The earlier 16M ECU was susceptible to the resulting voltage surges but I don't know if the later 15M is.

When it happened to me the tacho was wandering all other the place before the ECU went. Didn't take long, about 300m at less than 3000RPM with headlights on.