backfire

tomsp

Great day here. Rode over to Moto Italia in San Jose and had my fork oil changed. No big deal except I really noticed a difference riding the 1.5 hours back home. Suspension seemed way better. Noticed my rebound marks on each fork were not symetrical -- is that ok? Even though the bike seemed to handle extremely well.

Second thing, not related of course, the bike has been backfiring a lot lately on letting off on the throttle. There is no exhaust leak. Is that a throttle body balance/ TPS thing? I had the tps set back in May. Do it again? Suggestions?

thanks

oh yeah, I saw Al's bike at the shop too!

Second thing, not related of course, the bike has been backfiring a lot lately on letting off on the throttle. There is no exhaust leak. Is that a throttle body balance/ TPS thing? I had the tps set back in May. Do it again? Suggestions?

Unless the screws have vibrated out to change the settings I would go with the exhaust leak. My headers developed little cracks. enough for small little pops developing into bigger ones.

Second thing, not related of course, the bike has been backfiring a lot lately on letting off on the throttle.  There is no exhaust leak.  Is that a throttle body balance/ TPS thing?  I had the tps set back in May.  Do it again?  Suggestions?

thanks

oh yeah, I saw Al's bike at the shop too!

47664[/snapback]

Tomsp,

Is your exhaust stock and do you have a PCIII? We had a problem with a backfire (pop) on the newer bikes on decell. I can't remember if the fix was to richen up the mixture or lean it out. Email Todd Egan for the fix (PCIII map).

Mike

As mentioned by Martin, its worth carefully looking at your header pipes just where they go into the cylinder head, my bike was backfiring for over a year (wasn't that bothered by it and secretly quite liked it :D ) but last week when cleaning it a bit noticed a very fine crack on the left hand pipe.

At the time I was on my way to a Guzzi camping weekend so popped (he he) into Teo Lamers who took it off and temporarily welded it until a new one arrives (under warranty...just) . Since then no backfires, it must have been like that for ages.

I hope its something simpler like a loose joint but its worth checking.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Mal :helmet:

... :P as if you don't go over there every day and check it out! Looked like they were taking real good care of your bike. It is taking like a long time, eh.

from the other thread on gear shift linkage-- thanks. My shifter was so near falling off.

Noticed my rebound marks on each fork were not symetrical

47664[/snapback]

Tom,

When I was getting my exhaust done the other day the guy was suggesting somewhere to get the suspension set up. He said they put the front forks on a dyno to set them up since even though they have same springs, etc they always perform different one to another which means they need to balance the two sides up before they start setting everything up. I don't know if this could explain the difference you are seeing ??

Rgds,

Ken