Rear drive

big J

I've had my share of problems but I put it down to overfilling and/or venting. The Sporti comes without a vent, almost everybody I know has fitted one. Last year my vent was plugged causing the seals to blow lots of red goo everywhere but they didn't take permanent damage - after fixing the vent it doesn't leak one drop. Possibly because I bought the seals... now they just take up shelf space.

Anyway it's almost impossible to fully drain RLSPH even if it's hot. Maybe one should find out a smaller volume for refilling, that ends up at a correct level.

I agree with you about refilling the redline. So much of it sticks to the crown and the inside walls of the rear drive that if you refill it with the specified amount you will be overfilling it. You just about have to take the inside cover off and clean it out with a towel to know how much is in there when you refill it. I had put the new seals in mine and had it perfectly clean and dry before refilling it with the correct amount. Unfortunately it started dripping again before too long, so I was convinced the problem was the redline.

Its a strange problem because I had used the redline in the rear drive for about 2 riding seasons without a drip. Once it started though, it wouldnt stop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

500 miles after the last good rear drive flush/ refill with normal G-5 and no perceptible leak, seep or drip.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the great advice! Much better than tearing down the rear drive. Or trying to figure out what kind of saw dust to use!:whistle:

Very interesting thread. I have had RLSPH in the rear drive for over 20,000 miles, OK i have had some come out of the vent after a spirited ride :race: . But never a leak anywhere else. I keep it at the lowest level at the level plug and check regularly. Are you saying that redline is damaging seals :luigi:

Very interesting thread. I have had RLSPH in the rear drive for over 20,000 miles, OK i have had some come out of the vent after a spirited ride :race: . But never a leak anywhere else. I keep it at the lowest level at the level plug and check regularly.

That makes two of us. 20k miles of leak free RLSPH for me too. Time for a poll?

Very interesting thread. I have had RLSPH in the rear drive for over 20,000 miles, OK i have had some come out of the vent after a spirited ride :race: . But never a leak anywhere else. I keep it at the lowest level at the level plug and check regularly. Are you saying that redline is damaging seals :luigi:

No, I really believe I overfilled the drive and that damaged the seals. A couple seasoned Guzzi riders I know keep their level about an ounce (30 ml) low to ease the pressure. I ran RLSPH for about 15000 miles before the trouble started.

I feel certain that replacing the inner seal (already did the outer) is the real solution and I suspect the leak will eventually return even with the "normal" G-5.

Shoot, it may come back when I add the moly. I think I'll wait til after the next couple out of state rides to test that theory!