Machining off dust shield from the final drive

Mike Stewart

I found this picture on the Ghezzi & Brian site and I think Paul has also machined the dust cover lip off the final drive for less unsprung weight. My question is, is this ok to do on the V11 series? rear_drive_1.jpgThe center hub on most of the aftermarket wheels have a smaller cush drive as seen on the third picture.rear_drive.jpg

Mike

You can machine off anything you want as long as you don't cut through into the actual *inside* of the box. Having said that while the earlier boxes are very easy, you just have at them with a hacksaw and a smooth file, I can't imagine that the new V11 box would be either a.) as easy or b.) look anything like the earlier boxes, the whole casting is very different I'd advise caution.

Also by removing the flange you increase the oportunity for the ingress of dust and dirt to the splines which will accelerate wear. Given that the crwnwheel and splined centre are one-piece on the V11 bevels you really don't want to do anything that will encotage spline wear because when the splines are shot you're up for a new crownwheel and pinion which is big $$$$$$

Pete

Mark. the weight gain isn't that much, but it looks half the weight. I milled it off the v11 reardrive on a rotating table. Just at the edge of the steel spacer. Guzzi even milled it further down, at one of the first msg01 prototyps

cardan.jpg