Oil Leak

dbdicker

Ok, I've gone through this once with you guys but.........

I had an oil change done by a service guy (who's since gone). I would have done it myself but I was making a quick move and was touring the bike the next week and needed the time. Big mistake.

Ever since then, I've had a small leak, perhaps it's been close to 1000 miles now. It's coming from somewhere in the back of the crankcase because I find it sprayed on the crossmember of the swingarm. It also drips onto the exhaust right at the area of the crossover (same area) and smokes. Even when the bike is stopped, I will find a small drop or two to have collected off the bottom bolt of the left porkchop. I believe it is collecting and dripping there obviously because the bike is canted to that side on the sidestand when parked.

At first, I thought that the dummy mechanic had overfilled the crankcase and the excess oil was blowing out thru the airbox or thru whatever breather hose there is. I didn't worry about it and thought that removing some excess oil was more difficult than waiting for the dripping to slow. It has slowed, but it's still coming. And, although I think the dipstick on these V11's is impossible to fathom, I'm convinced that the oil level is now well below full, meaning that the issue is not excess oil in the crankcase. On the plus side, the bike is running beautifully and I've not seen the oil light come on, or need hard revving to make it go off.

Anybody had similiar issues? Any really likely possibility come to mind? Something I can fix? Sound serious? Give me your best guesses, guys and try to tell this dummy, step by step, how to diagnose this one.

Thanks,

Dan

First, you need to determine whether it's gearbox oil or crankcase oil. V11 Sports frequently have some sort of transmission leak in various places. Up to and including cracked transmission cases.

For engine oil to reach the top of the crossover, it would probably indicate a leak in the oil lines.

The OE engine breather line is a piece of cr@p. (In my Opinion)

But if breather line goes, the oil will drip down the side of the crankcase, just behind the heads or all over your ignition coils.

From the drip locations that you describe, it appears to be the gearbox and not the engine crankcase. Quite possibly from the gearbox vent located toward the back right side of the gearbox.

To be sure, clean the bike, then run the engine till it leaks.

But try not to go to fast, as the wind will blow the oil around.

It could be dummy overfilled the gearbox.

At least the gear oil level is a lot easier to check.

I wish someone would make a site glass for our engine oil. -_-

But perhaps there is a reason not to :huh2:

I drilled some holes in my dipstick and this helps the accuracy of measuring it, but it still takes me several spastic attempts to insert the dipstick without catching oil from the side while holding the bike perfectly upright.

Some have suggested getting it right, then measuring with it on the side stand and indexing the dipstick to compensate for the lean to the side stand.

Not a bad idea....although not as accurate, it is more accurate than fuddling and getting it wrong.

Another tip is to count how many turns to screw in, so when you unscrew, you predict when the stick will come loose so it will not hit the side or flop down into the lube bath.

No double innuendos implied but these discussions sure to get full of double in you endo words :whistle:

Clean every trace of oil residue, really make it spotless. Dry off. Use a paint brush to dust talcum or cornstarch around all suspected leak sources. Then do a slow ride around town for 15 minutes, stop and check for darkening of powdered areas. That should pinpoint the source.

I think the possibilities of engine oil drain plug washer or overfill of trans are the most likely sources.

Ok, mystery solved. It's not engine oil, it's shock oil......it blew the seal.

I realized this when I got on the bike today and boinged over the first bump. Absolutely zero damping. Hmmm, that ain't right...........then it came to me.......sure enough, the shaft of the fancy ohlins shock was drenched.

This shock was revalved and resprung last August by Pro Pilot. hmmmm......butchery suspected. Well, Jim says he'll take it back and rebuild it for free, of course. But now I'll need the 2 hours to get it off, the down time while he turns it around and the 2 hours to get it back on. This shouldn't happen.

Oh well........it's good to have a second bike.

Thanks for the input.

Dan

....I'm convinced that the oil level is now well below full...

Dan,

There have been some people had oil starvation under hard acceleration as oil in sump surges leaving pick up sucking air. For this reason I keep oil level up to max.

KB :sun: