STILL pinging STILL runing hot

Guest voigtstr

Guest voigtstr

The bike has had its 5000 Km service, and the pinging is a lot less than it was, but it still pings if the throttle is wound on quickly enough, and in hot weather, the bike still runs very hot... and if left for 20 to 30 minutes after a hard ride it wont run properly it will idle ok generally for a little while but off idle it coughs and splutters and stalls. leaving the bike another 20-30 minutes on top of that is usually enough to let it cool down enough to ride it (even though the heat blowing back off the cooling fins is very hot)

Why is it so hard for the dealer to stop it from pinging??

If the dealer is using the software from Moto Guzzi, then the only adjustment they can make to the ECU settings is the injector pulse width trim, which only affects a limited rpm range.

My bike has always pinged, even when completely stock. It now pings under sudden throttle application between 4500 and 5500 rpm in any gear. With the mods I have done (Stucchi crossover, Mistrals, PC III w/Todd Egan map tweaks, Amsoil 2-stage foam airfilter) it has so much more midrange response that the pinging is easier to manage. A custom map is my next update, right after a new set of Dunlop 220's. The current set has about 9500 miles on them, and they do not owe me much.

What is the setup on your V11?

-Jack Price

sounds like the idle may be too rich causing carbon build up to promote the pinging. The rich idle may prevent the hot startup.

Make sure the dealer has adjusted the valves to atleast .10mm/.15mm, has balanced the throttle bodies, has checked the TPS, and has checked the CO at idle. It should be richer than the factory recommendation, but not by a lot.

Go on a long ride to burn the carbon off.

If that does not fix it, you may need to remap with ultimap or Power Commander.

Cleaning the connections to the ECU and to the sensors, may also make a difference.

What RPM does it ping at? Mine used to ping at just over 5000rpm. I think it was caused by too rich of a map in all the wrong places. but I could be wrong.

My bike pinged from the day it came out of the crate. After about 18K miles, I started to experience the hot-stall problem too. To my knowledge, nobody has identified the #1 cause of either of the problems yet. Personally, I think there could a variety of problems all causing the same symptoms.

Welcome to the world of motorcycles that are assembled by wine-drinking italians, rather than robots! :bier:

My bike has never pinged, but it did (does?) have the hot-start problem. I don't know if this has anything to do with the lack of pinging, but I try to use only Mobil or Exxon gas, and I always buy premium. :bike:

To address the hot-start problem, my dealer wrapped heat-reflective tape around the fuel pump and part of the fuel line during my last service, and I haven't had the problem since. But before I call this mod a success, I'm waiting for the weather to heat up to see if that has anything to do with the problem. :unsure:

I agree with Jason, welcome to the world of motorcycles assempled by Italians. Their styling and engineering are first rate, but me thinks the Italians take too many coffee/wine break during assemble?!

Nonetheless, my LeMans has never suffered hot starting problems, but cold starting has always been an issue; I have to pray an entire rosary if I have any hope of getting the LeMans to start on its first attempt!

Pinging is an issue occasionally, but I've learned to down shift and thus put less strain on engine. Like others, this occurs at full throttle at aprox 4000-4500 rpm.

These guirks I am able to live with. What drives me nuts is the hot-stall condition I experience during the summer months. If the outside temp gets above 90 degrees, the bike will start to miss and want to stall at idle. I was able to eliminate much of the stall condition by setting european valve settings, but the engine will miss in the 3000 rpm range if it gets really "HOT". This is probably due to several things, but I believe the fuel pump is getting overheated since it resides under the tank.? Either that or there is an epidemic of faulty outside temp sensors on these bikes.

I love riding the LeMans, but the fuel injection system on my Triumph is light years ahead of what Guzzi is providing. <_<

I suppose I should count my blessings because my bike has only hot-stalled a couple of times, and that was only on the first weekend of owning it. After it loosened up a little, it never did it again.

It does still ping a lot though, between 4500 and 5500 rpm, and under certain conditions of load, it will also ping in the 7000 range. It is this pinging that really makes me nervous about how long the engine could tolerate this condition. With only 7 months of warranty left, I would really like to get this issue addressed.

Ride well. Ride safe.

-Jack Price

Glendale, CA

02 V11 Le Mans

01 KTM Duke II

83 V50 III

Guest dkgross

I've only had mine out for two little 30 mile runs..It did stall a few times while doing the city commando thing through downtown. I could tell it smelled a little hot.

but..it sure is fun :)

I know mine pings a bit, but I wear ear plugs and avoid the rpm/load regime where pinging occurs, so I really don't notice it. If my bike smells hot, it's because either the transmission vent or rear seal is blowing a little 90 weight onto the exhaust crossover and it is really noticeable when at a standstill.

Guest voigtstr

I expect the problem to be fixed under warranty... if the only way to fix it is for the dealer to install a 3rd party product, then I expect Moto Guzzi to pay for it...

A more likely solution is for the dealer to ask Moto Guzzi for more information, (or possibly updated information for Australian conditions) on how to tune the pinging (and overheating on hot days) out of the system.

Guest voigtstr

ProfWacko asks what is the setup of my V11.

Its Stock. The only configuration changes would be changes made by the dealer. I believe they are the only Moto Guzzi authorised dealer in my area.

If its a tuning issue.. and they cant resolve it I may have to talk to a Moto Guzzi representative to authorize a non Guzzi dealer to work on the bike and do warranty work... there is a bloke by the name of Bernd who works at a mob called Steine Dinze that apparantly knows his stuff according to the usenet group aus.motorcycles