metzeler z6 roadtec review

rossojoj

After 6050km on the V11, the OEM M1 - Sportec's were down to the wear limit on the rear, even after mostly curved road riding in the Black Forest.

I have to hold them partly responsible for the low-side last Oct. when the rear gave out on a slightly damp road with no warning at all. Above 5000km I would be pretty wary on these.

I replaced them on Sat with new Roadtec Z6, also from Metzeler (cost was €280). After 150km on them over the weekend I have to say I am very impressed. On cold roads (+7C) they warmed up within a few km and the grip, handling and ride were all inspiring.

These have almost no grooves in the centre 2" on the rear; all of the water dispersion is done by the front when vertical, and this means there is alot more rubber to wearout on the rear in the centre. Mez. claim this allows them to use a stickier rear-center compound while getting better mileage than the previous Z4. I will report later on how its wearing, but so far I can definitely recommend the profile as suiting the v11, at least to my taste :food:

For the first time I also removed the front/rear wheels myself, with tools provided by the shop. Its pretty straightforward, but I found it was necessary to remove the bolt/nut on the left swing-arm (viewed from rear) that prevents the rear brake/mount from rotating. The assembly could then be dropped and the rear wheel dismounted from the transmission/gear-drive. Reassembly was pretty straightforward.

Jonathan.

We should put some personal experience more and more on this forum, shouldn't we???

Just to share those with some pal in the same situation. We all are V11 riders, aren’t we? Paul?

In every society always is an except case.

BTW, I am glad to hear the Z6 is that good tyre that Metzeler always has promoted.

Did you ever take a look on Ebay about the price of Z6? They are relative cheap…

I replaced them on Sat with new Roadtec Z6, also from Metzeler (cost was €280). After 150km on them over the weekend I have to say I am very impressed. On cold roads (+7C) they warmed up within a few km and the grip, handling and ride were all inspiring.

These have almost no grooves in the centre 2" on the rear; all of the water dispersion is done by the front when vertical, and this means there is alot more rubber to wearout on the rear in the centre.  Mez. claim this allows them to use a stickier rear-center compound while getting better mileage than the previous Z4.  I will report later on how its wearing, but so far I can definitely recommend the profile as suiting the v11, at least to my taste  :food:

Jonathan.

48398[/snapback]

That extra rubber on the center rear is used because the Metzeler's are designed for BMW's. the BMW's tend to 'square off' their rear tires and the extra rubber helps to counteract that. I just mounted a new set of Z6's on my RT and I agree, it's great rubber for a BMW. I would guess that they would make the V11 steer quite a bit slower than the tires most of us are used to on the MG (Pirelli, Avon, even Bridgestones.).

I slagged the shit out of the Beemer yesterday, even though I would have rathered been on my Scura, it was warm enough. However, my Guzzi is apart and my rear shock on the way back to the rebuilder, who effed it up in the first place. Meanwhile, the RT stunned me with the new Metzelers, very confidence inspiring, allowing me to lean to respectible angles at good speeds with absolutely no drama. Super predictable and should wear well. Nice tire.

Dan

That extra rubber on the center rear is used because the Metzeler's are designed for BMW's.  the BMW's tend to 'square off' their rear tires and the extra rubber helps to counteract that.  Dan

Actually what does seperates Guzzi from BMW in terms of getting HP down the road? They both have a shaft and they both have considerable torgue.Mostlly at the same amounts.