carburator idle adjustment

richard100t

Guest Nogbad

These are not carbs, they are throttle bodies with injectors. The white nylon thumb nut on the linkage adjusts the throttle synch not the idle speed.

These are not carbs, they are throttle bodies with injectors. The white nylon thumb nut on the linkage adjusts the throttle synch not the idle speed.

49008[/snapback]

Thanx Nogbad :notworthy: Thats what I thought it was. I was playing with it earlier today & now my bike has a slight occasional cough in the lower rpms. I'll have to get out there & put it back to the way it was. (whatever that is :whistle: )

Guest Nogbad
Thanx Nogbad :notworthy: Thats what I thought it was. I was playing with it earlier today & now my bike has a slight occasional cough in the lower rpms. I'll have to get out there & put it back to the way it was. (whatever that is :whistle: )

49010[/snapback]

You will need a vacuum gauge to set the balance properly unless a. you can get it exactly back where it was, and b. it was right before anyway.

I would offer to lend you mine, but you seem to be the wrong side of the pond.

Richard, the idle adjustment is a set screw...outboard your white knob on the left throttle body (and in the same place on the right throttle body, which places it inboard)...probably has the same yellow paint on it the white linkage sych knob has for identification purposes. k

Thanks guys :bier: I knew where the idle screws were because I still have the owners manual. But I couldnt find that white knob in the manual...so of course I had to give it a few turns to see what would happen :stupid: I dont know if I've gotten it back perfectly but it runs good so :huh2: I'll let it be for awhile & see. Btw my odometer hit 2000 miles today :mg: I was cleaning the bike today & had the pipes off so of course I started it up just to see. Now I need louder pipes, that thing sounds sweet unmuffled :!: Like I posted earlier if anyone has a set of non carbon mufflers let me know.

Ohh boy :whistle: That little white knob is becoming a major pain in my ass :!: I tried to fix the slight cough the bike had & now its backfiring. The only thing I'm turning or have ever turned is that little white knob :bbblll: I guess I'll need to get a vacuum gauge & see what the deal is.

Give it another couple thousand miles and it'll run even better. 

49053[/snapback]

At that point you need to do the diaster adjusment. It's a sensitive adjustment, but critical. Done yours yet JR? :whistle:

If you are stuck for vacum gauges you could try the garden hose down the throttle bodies trick. Short pice of hose and listen for the hiss. Adjust the synch till the hiss is the same whislt the engine is running. Other way to do athough i have never done it on a fuel ijected bike and you will have to remove the airbox. Engine iff procdure this one stick a finger on each butterfly/slide get an assitant to slowly crack the trottle off closed might take a couple of tries to get a feel for it. If they are in sync both butterflys will start moving at the exact same time if they don't adjust till they do its not as accurate as gauges but it will get them pretty close and is not a bad bush get us out of a spot thing.

At that point you need to do the diaster adjusment. It's a sensitive adjustment, but critical. Done yours yet JR? :whistle:

49093[/snapback]

It's critical enough that I do it weekly...whether I ride the bike or not :!:

Guest Brian Robson
If you are stuck for vacum gauges you could try the garden hose down the throttle bodies trick. Short pice of hose and listen for the hiss. Adjust the synch till the hiss is the same whislt the engine is running. Other way to do athough i have never done it on a fuel ijected bike and you will have to remove the airbox. Engine iff procdure this one stick a finger on each butterfly/slide get an assitant to slowly crack the trottle off closed might take a couple of tries to get a feel for it. If they are in sync both butterflys will start moving at the exact same time if they don't adjust till they do its not as accurate as gauges but it will get them pretty close and is not a bad bush get us out of a spot thing.

49097[/snapback]

What tough spot exactly? The injectors may go out of sync slightly, but in my opinion, not enough to stick garden hoses in the intakes, and the synching by feel probably puts the bodies more "out" than before :2c:

Just suck it up Princess and buy some vacuum gauges....AND STOP TURNING THE WHITE KNOB.

This animosity brought to you by a broken bike in the garage :moon:

What tough spot exactly? The injectors may go out of sync slightly, but in my opinion, not enough to stick garden hoses in the intakes, and the synching by feel probably puts the bodies more "out" than before :2c:

Just suck it up Princess and buy some vacuum gauges....AND STOP TURNING THE WHITE KNOB.

This animosity brought to you by a broken bike in the garage :moon:

49133[/snapback]

Ok Ok I'm doen with the white knob :!: It should be fixed later today :whistle:

Alright I went out & got a vacuum gauge & got it a lot closer to right than it was. At least its ridable now...I'll just take it to a dealer with better equipment & know how. One side reads 8hg & the other side reads about 10 or 11. At least I'm back to the less occasional cough mostly near idle. Oh & btw I also found out today that my old truck blew a timing chain so I spent the rest of the day tearing that greasy old thing apart :bbblll: I'll be another 2 hours at that tomorrow :luigi: