carburator idle adjustment

richard100t

If you have the time, it is best to adjust the valves before adjusting the throttle bodies.

But from my experience the throttle bodies do need more frequent adjusting.

And when you adjust them, use a proper manometer or similar balancing device such as carb sticks, twinmax or Carbtune synchronizer.

You can even make your own water or ATF manometer.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...55&hl=manometer

Also, be sure to checkout this how to

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/bmw-bike/guzzi/balance.html

richard100t, I see you must have bought a vacuum gauge to fix your throttle body imbalance. I would like to share my experiences. When I had to do my own 1000 mile service I did not have anything that resembled a carb stick or twinmax. I did a search on the subject and came across IanJ's posting and made my own manometer. When my bike was new the fast idle lever would only rev it up to about 2000 rpm. I found this a little low so I put a bit of rubber tubing over the whatsit that contacted the cam thingy. The end result was a fast idle speed of 2500 rpm. But now after setting my TPS, valves etc I have a fast idle speed of up to 3500 rpm and no it doesn't work as cruise control. But it is a bonus when adjusting my throttle body balance as it gives me a consistent throttle application. I just move the lever until the revs reach 3000 rpm and then adjust the air bleed screws to get the vacuum right. Return to idle, adjust if necessary. Repeating everything until I'm happy with the settings. See attached pic of the "whatsit"

Rob

fast_idle_adjuster_mod.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped in at Speakers Cycles in Steubenville today & Jason fixed me right up :thumbsup: He hooked the bike up to his computer, put it on the mercury stick, adjusted the tps, & a few other things lol. Anyway the bike runs great now :!: :race: This should hopefully end this thread for me :sun: Now all I need is some better weather to ride in. Its good to have a good dealer within riding distance :notworthy: