Tools

txrider

Reading Brian's post about removing that frozen axle/bearing ( glad you didn't experience a get-off, there Brian) brought to mind some tools that would have been useful and that I use frequently.

#1- The odd ball is a 3-lb rawhide mallet that has the heft to dislodge most items a 1-lb ballpeen hammer will only dent/score.

#2- A 4-1/2" disk grinder. Incredible what this tool will cut through, axles, bolts, sheet stock, you name it.

#3- A Dremel rotary tool with assorted accessories. Particularly useful is the 1-1/2" cutoff wheel and the sanding drum. Great for small detail metal work and deburring.

#4- 6" dial caliper for checking hardware replacement diameters, o-ring replacements, etc.

#5- Optivisor with at least 4-power lens. For old guys like me with failing vision who need to look at fine detail.

These are only a few of the many tools required around a shop/garage used in maintaining the bikes but they are incredibly useful and might not be considered in getting started in this wonderful pastime.

#3-  A Dremel rotary tool with assorted accessories.  Particularly useful is the 1-1/2" cutoff wheel and the sanding drum.  Great for small detail metal work and deburring.

49208[/snapback]

I finally bought one, and one of the first things I did was cut off the worn out tips of my Allen (hex) keys. :luigi: