V 11 2004/5 Bike Choices

Guest whart

Guest whart

Paul: i originally bought the P car for precisely that reason, but found that i had less time than i thought for track activities. I'm also a "jump in the car and drive to Texas for the hell of it" kind of driver. The P car is now gone; replaced with a 6.0 Diablo for the time being. The P is a far better racer, but the Diablo is so "old school" I couldn't resist.

post-1750-1114112257_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we shall enjoy this whart for long time...

Should we make a poll???

I think no ore than four months!

Could be the tortured inner soul, unable to find peace, hence the repetative changes. Once the magic of Guzzi is found and embraced it could all change.

or

When it has one of it's character moments and is waiting weeks for a part it will be good by.

Guest whart
I think you should get one of these too

49356[/snapback]

Actually had a 355, not enough torque. The MV Augusta is another matter though. I don't consider myself a good enough rider to run that kind of bike. I'll let you know how I like the Guzzi once i have it delivered to me. BTW, amateur psychology, or jelousy aside, i change exotic cars roughly every year and a half to two years for a simple reason. Rather than having a bunch of mediocre cars at the same time, i prefer to drive great cars. Unlike many rich collectors ( i am neither rich at the level of many in the exotic "collection" game, nor a collector, in the sense that i keep a stable of garage queens), i am a "serial collector" as Ed Niles once described himself. (Ed, who is still alive, has- on a professional's salary- he was a lawyer- owned some of the most interesting ferraris from the 50's and 60's that were ever made). It's a question of priorities.

Some choose to have children, or join a fancy club; i drive what i like for a while ( averaging 8- 10k recreational miles per year on such cars) and then move on. I have thus experienced some great cars, some great events, and great people in the process.

If that suggests to you that I am a flake, or worse, that's your call. In the meantime, you know what they say....

I dig it.. I always have two bikes and change one of them every two years..

c'mon boys, welcome him proper. Tx. show him that photo of yer bad self.!!

and yes, I mean "that" photo

I wasn't implying anything to you personally whart I am a little jealous but I may get there some day a man should have priorities. I am kind of planing to do that with bikes soon just keep changing them out. Keeping the Goose tho I hope you like it when you get it. I Don't know who wouldn't be jealous of those wonderful cars youve slashed through the asphalt jungle with. If you have any interesting stories of thus such I'm sure we all like stories. :drink:

Hi Congrats for the nice set of wheels...

Confession, I am a bit jealous too, I use to draw those cars when I was a kid, then as a teen I used to admire the "smart technology" I liked the british Jensen FF (1960's), a nice solution for 4wd on a traditional sports GT.

But is a matter of perception, here in Texas the natives seem to admire the Land Rover, marketed for the rich, for me, it was one the tortures I suffered while working in Africa. Now I'll rather drive anything else, I am indeed missing the Citroen 2CV.

In any event, it is all in your mind, as long as it does not have the deadly brakes of Crysler minivan, and the engine of a Ford is Ok. for me.

Currently I drive a real reliable Subaru Impresa with 170k and I share the very same speed linit at the hiway with with mi neighbord who dives a new Jag coupe.

What really turns me On are vehicles with just 2 wheels specially :mg: MG power delivery is tunned for humans, and full of enjoyment, :race:

About cars, I feel sitting in there like a long elevator ride to work... I can not wait for something more interesting to catch my attention, like a diesel that will ot fall apart like the VW made in Mexico.

---

I saw again the Nero Corsa :food: parking at starbucks in Webster, but at this time I was not on my :notworthy: MG, :bike: .... I had too much to do I needed a large trunk to carry the weight of my survival kit... papers, book and laptop :homer: ... I guess cold weather rain and cargo are the limits of the my car concept. Then give me reliability (consumer reports), and price and do not bother with shape and color....

I hope you enjoy the 355...

Anthro

Like I said..."Welcome aboard, Whart".

Please TEX, no more pictures of yerself old bean! BUT, on the other hand if I persuade you to post more of the DANCING GIRL, welllll now, thatsa my cup o' tea! :rasta:

Sorry wasn't trying to imply any flakeyness -

Some people change there vehicles often some keep them till they fall apart. I'm the latter and even then I still don't get rid :P

It would seem that Guzzis polarise their owners in to either one of the two camps

keep it forever/stay with the marque - or - done that not doing it again.

A lot of us here have matured in to guzzi ownership , foresaken the year on year changes of the japanese sports bikes. setling for real world performance and character. And there of thiose who still try to wring more performance out of the old bus.

We are all different except for our intrest in the V11.

One problem with the internet is that you don't meet people face to face ( untill you go to a rally or some other event) It is easy to cause unintentional offence if a comment ment in good humor is misconstrued. Another is that people can pretend to be things they're not. Your pictures may have set of some alarm bells in some people.

I will take you at your word , because thats the way I like to be treated.

So, sorry for any offence caused and welcome to the board.

Guest whart

Thanks, all. No problems. Looking forward to the bike and will report on my experience and questions. Hope to take delivery next week. In the meantime, thoughts on:

handlebar risers- or whatever you'd suggest to bring the bars up

Pipes- (although a few have commented)

Chip sets (particularly if necessary when changing pipes)

tires (the Ducati came with these trailer wheel Dunlops; switching to Pirelli Dragons or whatever they are called made an unbelievable difference in handling);

would be appreciated.

Best, Bill hart

BTW: open invitation to any of you who are near enough to me to visit; i live north of NYC. As to my bona fides, pick up the January 2002 issue of Road & Track, if you can locate it. (Some text and photos may still be online at their website- the piece focuses on a 550 Barchetta, #66, and includes a discussion and pictures of me driving). Sorry for coming off like a rich asshole. Regards.

:bike:

Whart- I hope you enjoy the Guzzi. Sounds like you really are a 'serial collector'. I'm a cereal collector, and I have like 4 boxes in my cupboard right now. Na, really, I'm the type that can't get rid of anything- I still have my first Guzzi that I bought 20+ years ago. It's in pieces, but I still have it.

let's see

handlebar risers- you can go with risers or install handlebars. There are several companies that market risers- look at MPH, Williamsville, etc. There's a thread just started on this subject here.

Pipies- there's Guzzi Ti pipes that come with their own new 'race' computer. Supposedly sound and perform well. There's Mistrals, Leo Vince, Staintune, and Neptune. I have Mistrals + a Stucchi crossover and I like the combo very much. The crossover is as important as the pipes IMO.

Chip sets- no such thing. There's a PowerCommander (PCIII) that is sold by Todd Eagan aka RacerX on this board. Many swear by it, but I have no experience.

Tires- I think I read someone (Mike? Paul?) has recently been lauding the Diabo or Diablo Corsa as a fabulous tire. I'm not that good of a rider and there's lots of flat parts here in the midwest, so I have Metzler somethingorothers that hold air and roll- my two biggest qualifications for tires. They stick ok as well. :grin:

Aftermarket suppliers (not complete by any means)

MGCycle

MotoGuzziClassics

MPH cycles in Houston is excellent

Ned's Auto and Cycle here in I-o-way is also a great dealer

Closer to home for you is Eish Enterprises

Agostini's in Italy

Several other Italian companies advertise on this website.

Tex, please DONT, DONT, DONT post 'The picture'. No. Dont. It hurts me.