What soft luggage should I buy?

velofish

This seems like one of those topics that should have been wel covered, but I did a search and didn't come up with any real solid recomendations. People seem to be using Tekno and Cortech and MG bags. Does anyone have any experience with the Joe Rocket bags? Are the MG bags still available?

What are you using? Any real likes/dislikes? Was it a hassle getting them to fit right?

Thanks guys. I sold my touring bike- K75RT-- and need to get some bags for the V11 sport.

John

Hi John, My experience has been that the shape of the side of the tailpiece does not allow the soft luggage to hang over a flat surface. Instead it must either rest on the curved surface of the tailpiece, or hang below it.

On the curved surface means the bag will not hang well but instead will rest on the upper side of the curve.

Below the curve and the luggage is too close to the pipes.

The Techno bags with the brackets seem to be the best choice.

But having said that...my friend is selling a 4 piece Nelson Riggs luggage set for 125 plus shipping from Modesto CA USA 95350. PM me if they interest you. Joe

You might want to check out the new Givi "Arrow" bags though. They are featured on p 86 of June '05 Cycle World. While your there check out the Vespa ad :o on p.99. Do women like that REALLY exist? :rasta: Joe

John, I have RKA soft bags (red) that I used on my 1100 Sport and now on my Rosso. The straps fit ovet the passenger seat so you can't use the cowl. Let me know if you would like some photos.

Ralph

I use a pair of OXFORD saddle bags at the back seat of the bike,Tightened on top with some etra belts for extra stability.Not a hassle to fit them in ,some belts pass under the seat ,but I have raise them a bit in order to be more aerodynamic, and yes that plays role in consumption and my fit was sucessfull,since I had a fuel

consumption as without them

The quality is great and though a bit pricey (150Euros=aprox.$190)I don't regret on having them there are extra watter resistant covers and a laquer protectand blanket ,though I don't use these sadle bags often ,they were a must have for longer distance travels.

OXFORD review

Oxford site

Ralph: I totally forgot about RKA. They have a great reputation. If you can post a picture-- great. I will probably look for thier wbsite, too.

Carl: You come through, as always. I am going to go take another look at that site.

Joe: Those bags in Cycle World look good. They are expandable, too, which I think sounds like a good idea. The "Vespa Girl" is going to take further study. Lots and lots of study.

Big J: :)

Looks like I have some shopping to do.

Thanks Alex.  I have read great reviews on Oxford products, but did not know that they were available in the states.  Designed in England: should be waterproof, anyway. :)

John

They are waterproof to apoint because if in heavy rain there will always be water passing from the zips so there are these extra black waterproof covers ypu can always use. Quality is excellent with thick long lasting material.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope to have something in time for the Nationals. At least enough space to carry a good bottle of whiskey. :drink: Off to look at more websites.

John

when I got the Tuono, I bought the Givi Arrows .. They sit a bit close to the Tuono pipe, so I mounted then on the V11 to see if they fitted ok.. I put the front strap in front of the pillion cover, the center strap under the cover, and the back strap over the hump..

I must admit I haven't used them yet, so I can't say how they'd sit loaded.. but they look pretty good and fit the lines of the bike...

Cheers, Tim

Can anyone give me some input about the Ventura Bike-Pack system? Good, bad or indifferent. Waterproof or not? how do you rate them? As these are made here in N.Z. they are an option which I can buy local. For $500 I can get the whole system. The "L" brackets, the pack frame, sports rack and passenger grab handle. As well as a 45 litre pack and the 10 litre sport pack.

Thanks,

Rob