FBF crossover

Guest aj howard

Guest aj howard

Hi,

I just got my FBF Crossover pipe today. Ferracci was out of stock and they switched manufactuers.. Unlike the old pipe that looked more like an "H" pipe the new one is more like the Stucci, an "X" shape. the welds and bends look very clean. I will try and get a photo of it and post it by the weekend.

The PC III is in the mail (I hope), the Staintunes are sitting on the shelf in the basement and my arm is healed up enough to ride again!

life is good :P:

Hi,

I just got my FBF Crossover pipe today. Ferracci was out of stock and they switched manufactuers.. Unlike the old pipe that looked more like an "H" pipe the new one is more like the Stucci, an "X" shape. the welds and bends look very clean.

50573[/snapback]

...well, that explains the "conflicting" reports of the FBF crossover's construction by those that have purchased the FBF crossover these last years.

Good to know :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just got my FBF Crossover pipe today. Ferracci was out of stock and they switched manufactuers.. Unlike the old pipe that looked more like an "H" pipe the new one is more like the Stucci, an "X" shape. the welds and bends look very clean. I will try and get a photo of it and post it by the weekend.

The PC III is in the mail (I hope), the Staintunes are sitting on the shelf in the basement and my arm is healed up enough to ride again!

life is good :P:

Based on recommendation on this website I ordered the FBF x-over for my 2004 V11 Sport. I recieved the cross-over today and was surprised to find it does not have a mounting bracket. It is simply supported by the header pipes and the mufflers. Two questions: 1) Is this the same as other people's FBF crossovers (i.e., lacking a mounting braket)?, and 2) If it is the same, have you found that having the crossover supported by just the exhaust system causes any problems (e.g., leaks, cracking, etc...)? Thanks!

Jim

I dunno, mine was installed by the dealer but it appears to be working just fine, no leaks, no problems, bad gas milage and all. I think I've been getting 25mpg lately which is dreadful but I also don't ride it nice and slow I also need to get it fully tuned I'm sure I'm running rich as it tends to spit sputter and detonate a little in hot rush hour traffic :huh2: all and all the FBF unit is just as good as the stucchi tho I'm sure its lighter :luigi:

Based on recommendation on this website I ordered the FBF x-over for my 2004 V11 Sport. I recieved the cross-over today and was surprised to find it does not have a mounting bracket. It is simply supported by the header pipes and the mufflers. Two questions: 1) Is this the same as other people's FBF crossovers (i.e., lacking a mounting braket)?, and 2) If it is the same, have you found that having the crossover supported by just the exhaust system causes any problems (e.g., leaks, cracking, etc...)? Thanks!

Jim

1) Yes

2) Some cracked crossovers have been reported here. Others like Ben are fine.

I think most folks here recommend the Stucchi over the Ferracci because of the possibility of cracking, possibly due to no hanger.

The Ferracci x pipe has never had a hanger bracket. Here's their website info, no hanger or bracket:

http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=p...detail&p=22

Here's the Stucchi with hanger and bracket:

010615.JPG

FWIW I added a hanger to my Ferracci and made up a bracket to attach it to the frame. I'm hoping this will prevent any cracking. These pics are after ceramic coating was done:

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

I had a Stucchi on my 01 V11 Sport.

But I'm a little confused as I thought (actually I'm sure of it) that the 03 and newer V11s have a crossover pipe at the front. Does this FBF replace that crossover, or are there now two?

:huh2: Sorry for the 'newbie" question.

I have an FBF properly installed on my 02 Lemans, no cracking, no issues. take your time, assure everthing hooks up with minimum stress and forget the mounting bracket on the stuchi. I love the fbf, and when properly installed is fabulous (see em on ebay for 239 us ) I've put many miles, and no cracks anywhere, and 85 dynolinked bhp dyno's at the rear wheel. got my vote...

I used to sell the FBF crossovers at Moto Itnl. but stopped after a significant number began cracking, including the one on my own bike. The cause is not vibration or stress. The cause is insufficient purging during welding. This may not affect them all but appears to have affected one batch, at least.

If we're lucky, Slug will jump in here; after mine cracked, we checked his when he was here one day. His was cracking, too. He was once a welder of stainless. He looked at the welds and was able to see the proble right away.

I have an FBF properly installed on my 02 Lemans, no cracking, no issues. take your time, assure everthing hooks up with minimum stress and forget the mounting bracket on the stuchi. I love the fbf, and when properly installed is fabulous (see em on ebay for 239 us ) I've put many miles, and no cracks anywhere, and 85 dynolinked bhp dyno's at the rear wheel. got my vote...

I agree with Jon, if it is installed under no stress it shouldn't crack. (and you do need to take your time to fit it properly) That said, I did add a bracket to mine that incorporates the original U shaped hanger. No cracks yet.

I used to sell the FBF crossovers at Moto Itnl. but stopped after a significant number began cracking, including the one on my own bike. The cause is not vibration or stress. The cause is insufficient purging during welding. This may not affect them all but appears to have affected one batch, at least.

If we're lucky, Slug will jump in here; after mine cracked, we checked his when he was here one day. His was cracking, too. He was once a welder of stainless. He looked at the welds and was able to see the proble right away.

Yep, what Mr. Field said. IMO the welds are suspect. The welds on my original and replacement FBF crossovers had severe undercutting and no crown which can indicate the lack of a purge when the part was being welded.

When my first one cracked, FBF said they'd inspect the welds on an new one and send it to me. (took 'em a while <_ when i received the new one checked welds and saw same problem. sent it back they refunded me.>

I bought a Stucci to replace it and couldn't be happier. Yes, the Stucci is heavier but it is better built and includes a bung for mounting an O2 sensor. The wall thickness of the tubing that Stucci uses is almost twice the thickness of the FBF. If FBF is going to use that thickness, then it is critical that the fit (I noticed a few spots where they had to force the joint together) and welds are perfect, as there's little margin for error.

Oh, performance-wise, I can't tell the difference between the two...

If you want the boring technical info on the weld failures, let me know...

Yep, what Mr. Field said. IMO the welds are suspect. The welds on my original and replacement FBF crossovers had severe undercutting and no crown which can indicate the lack of a purge when the part was being welded.

Slug,

The welds on my FBF looked pretty good to me but I'm no expert. Here's a shot of mine after I had the brackets attached. Can you tell me if you see a problem with the FBF weld?

DSCN0995.jpg

Slug,

The welds on my FBF looked pretty good to me but I'm no expert. Here's a shot of mine after I had the brackets attached. Can you tell me if you see a problem with the FBF weld?

DSCN0995.jpg

Hmm. It's hard to tell from that angle. Does the weld look sort of "sunken" below the level of the tubes? If it does, it might be bad. Wish I could see under the support bracket... Also, when the brackets were welded on, was the part purged?

Hmm. It's hard to tell from that angle. Does the weld look sort of "sunken" below the level of the tubes? If it does, it might be bad. Wish I could see under the support bracket... Also, when the brackets were welded on, was the part purged?

I would say that the welds is fairly level with the surface of the tubes. It looks like a typical fillet weld that I see and specify here at work (I design electronic enclosures). Actually the FBF weld was a lot neater than some I see from our vendors! I could send you the 2288 x 1712 picture that would allow you to zoom way in on the weld if you are truly interested.

I don't have any pictures of the crossover before adding the bracket, and no the tubes weren't purged before welding the brackets on. Why would you purge when the welds weren't supposed to penetrate through the tubes?

I would say that the welds is fairly level with the surface of the tubes. It looks like a typical fillet weld that I see and specify here at work (I design electronic enclosures). Actually the FBF weld was a lot neater than some I see from our vendors! I could send you the 2288 x 1712 picture that would allow you to zoom way in on the weld if you are truly interested.

I don't have any pictures of the crossover before adding the bracket, and no the tubes weren't purged before welding the brackets on. Why would you purge when the welds weren't supposed to penetrate through the tubes?

I don't think I'd be able to tell anything more with the larger photo. With stainless that thin, it's always a good idea to purge. Even though you may not have full penetration, the metal on the inside of the tube can get hot enough to start oxidizing/burning.