The "CRUNCH" Heard 'round the World!

joe camarda

About two weeks ago I picked up my 01 V11 Sport after having it in the shop for six months for a trannie recall. (see my previous posting: "Trannie Recall...Should I , Shouldnt I...)

Well today I was accelerating thru 4th and shifting into 5th when I heard a loud "CLANK", followed by a louder "CRUNCH", followed by the sound of marbles rolling around in my trannie...followed by the smell of hot oil!

I immediately pulled over and discovered trannie oil flowing (not dripping) out of the left side case. Closer inspection revealed a machined hole about the size of a dime.

Well, my guess is this hole is where the trannie sidecase was "repaired" with a machining process instead of replacing the entire sidecase (which was "unavailable").

So, I called my local Ducati dealer (Modesto Ducati - GREAT PEOPLE) and they sent a truck out to collect me. Then I called the dealer who performed the repair. They seemed eager to make things right..we shall see :glare: .

I've resigned myself to not having the bike for another six months.

Dissapointed, yes. Frustrated, damn straight. Pissed at MGNA for not resolving this under warranty, damn straight again.

Does anybody at MGNA care about their customer base?

Guest Nogbad

I am seriously wondering whether to bother with the tranny recall at all. The other option is to acquire the parts and tear it down myself. I can't be that hard to do. I have rebuilt two bike gearboxes (MZ TS250 and BSA Bantam) and a car gearbox in the past. How hard can the Guzzi box really be? Could make a good winter project.

(Joe I coudn't find the previous post you mention, has it been removed?)

Guest Nogbad

Still can't seem to find it using search...

HOW ESSENTIAL IS THE FRIGGIN' TRANNY RECALL ANYWAY? Because firstly I am fed up waiting, and secondly I am a true believer in the philosophy that goes: "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

(An idea that seems to be lost on most governments it has to be said)

Still can't seem to find it using search...

HOW ESSENTIAL IS THE FRIGGIN' TRANNY RECALL ANYWAY? Because firstly I am fed up waiting, and secondly I am a true believer in the philosophy that goes: "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

(An idea that seems to be lost on most governments it has to be said)

50913[/snapback]

My 2000 Limone got the call also. The previous owner was deaf, I am so as well concerning that. It now has about 50.000 km, is absolutely tight, easy to shift, makes no noises and so on. I am not sure what it will be after the preventive repair action. I will definitely not go to a shop before something breaks. That's an other point: you have to visit a shop for this or they won't give you the parts for free.

Hubert

My 2000 Limone got the call also. The previous owner was deaf, I am so as well concerning that. It now has about 50.000 km, is absolutely tight, easy to shift, makes no noises and so on. I am not sure what it will be after the preventive repair action. I will definitely not go to a shop before something breaks. That's an other point: you have to visit a shop for this or they won't give you the parts for free.

Hubert

50927[/snapback]

Have the recall done.

My 00 V11 Sport was at the shop for a transmission leak repair and they added dye to the transmission and took the bike out for a test ride so they could check the leak with a black light. Well, the trans locked up on the tech while out on a road test. Lucky he was going slow. The bike had to be trailered back. 3rd gear broke apart in three pieces and then wiped out all the other gears (in the shop for 6 months, Guzzi wanted the trans repaired and not replaced). This was before the recall came out and I am sure this is why there is a recall today. If you are traveling at speed and the trans comes apart internally, there is a great chance that the rear wheel will lock up and depending what you are doing at the time, chances are that you are going down. Pulling in the clutch will not do anything if the trans locks up.

Just my thoughts,

Mike

This was before the recall came out and I am sure this is why there is a recall today.

So it is YOUR fault!!!!

My team of lawyers will be in touch with your team of lawyers :lol:

But seriously, I am happy that I have had the recall even if I have to smell oil on the crossover everytime I ride...And the bike mis-shifts more frequently now...

But I'll bet if I sealed it up and put some synthetic back in it, it would be fine... :luigi:

Guest Dave Pott

Damn, I'm sure sorry to hear this lousy news. PLEASE tell us you have some sort of back-up bike in the garage :(

Hi Joe,

sorry for chipping in late but both my sons are occupying our computers (high school, 2nd year, annual test).

I had my tranny done here in March and after the recall it runs like a hot knife in cold butter. Really sad to hear that MGNA don't give a toss about you chaps across the pond. The only hiccup I faced was that the Danish importer, who had to do the work, managed to assemble the gear box incorrectly, which led to my local dealer had to pull the engine out again afterwards and fix the bloody thing properly.

Hope to see you back on the road soon.

Søren