solenoid

thgil

my solenoid is not working properly. after a day of stress i came to this conclusion.so is there anyone out there who can tell me if this is a common problem, and where i get one. I'm so distraught with my motorbike every time i've gone out i've had problems,eg starter and main fuse blowing at exeter services,home on a break down truck,asking a few geezers to give me a push as starter refused to work.Now i'm not being funny but this is my first guzzi,i'm going to ride europe in aug i really am thinking of tradeing in for something more reliable!

Guest Nogbad

There is an issue with Valeo starter motors failing due to the adhesive holding the magnets into the stator letting go. Somewhere I have a magazine article with the details of a UK supplier of Valeo parts enabling you to rebuild the starter for around £80 rather than the £300 replacement cost from Guzzi.

If this has happened to you, I'll scan the thing and post it up.

yo dude thanks for the reply the info would be really useful, but if i just buy a solenoid which i've managed to trace from motomecca @ 51quid will thi not sort the problem?

Guest Nogbad
yo dude thanks for the reply the info would be really useful, but if i just buy a solenoid which i've managed to trace from motomecca @ 51quid will thi not sort the problem?

51713[/snapback]

Only if you are absolutely sure that it is the solenoid. Take the starter off and make sure it turns freely and feels ok before you spend the £51.

I had the solenoid fail on my 2 month old Tuono... so its not just guzzi's..

easiest way to check if its the solenoid is to bridge the terminals with the ignition on... if it cranks the motor then its the solenoid..

cheers, Tim

I had the solenoid fail on my 2 month old Tuono...  so its not just guzzi's..

easiest way to check if its the solenoid is to bridge the terminals with the ignition on...  if it cranks the motor then its the solenoid..

cheers, Tim

51742[/snapback]

Please make sure it is out of gear first :homer:

Mike

Take it apart, clean it, grease it and see how that goes. It could be stuck with old dried up dirt/grease. That's been the case on other starters/solenoids that I've had to fix.

I think it's a good idea to clean and grease the internals anyway, as it all seems to come pretty dry from the factory. My starter started screeching at only 2,000 miles, but it's been fine ever since giving it some TLC – like it should have had at the factory.

If your solenoid is working, but "not working properly" then there's a good chance that it's just sticky and can be easily fixed. How old, how many miles has the bike done?

Take it apart, clean it, grease it and see how that goes. It could be stuck with old dried up dirt/grease. That's been the case on other starters/solenoids that I've had to fix.

I think it's a good idea to clean and grease the internals anyway, as it all seems to come pretty dry from the factory. My starter started screeching at only 2,000 miles, but it's been fine ever since giving it some TLC – like it should have had at the factory.

If your solenoid is working, but "not working properly" then there's a good chance that it's just sticky and can be easily fixed. How old, how many miles has the bike done?

51756[/snapback]

tue bikes done 100000 miles and its a 02 model

easiest way to check if its the solenoid is to bridge the terminals with the ignition on...  if it cranks the motor then its the solenoid..

That is usually true assuming you have narrowed it down to being the starter or the solenoid...as it kind of sounds like he has...But it could still be a bad battery, the clutch switch or relay syndrome or whatever...I guess you would just test for 12+Volts at the solenoid when starting. I am not sure exactly how many volts would be bad, but I would be suspicious of less than 12V... although I guess if the starter draws current the voltage at the solenoid will drop. :huh2: I guess I should test mine while it is working.

Guest aironepony
I had the solenoid fail on my 2 month old Tuono...  so its not just guzzi's..

cheers, Tim

51742[/snapback]

That's OK....but recently my Bro-in-Law's SP111 had a little problem with the Valeo Starter; the terminal on the solenoid to the starter motor had gone down to earth. Although the solenoid was working fine; i.e moving the spur gear into engagement AND making a contact bridge from the main battery supply to the motor feed, the resultant connected motor supply was going straight back to earth rather than to the motor. New solenoid on it's way; fitting same tomorrow...... :thumbsup:

the thing is i've taken the starter and solenoid out of the bike and rigged it up to another battery.Once its energized nothing happens until i depress the the valve almost half way myself.Unfortunately i'm a very green with all this so be very gentle!

Sense of adventure.My good fellow guzzifiend pushing ones V11 through the carpatii orientali with all those Wamphyri afoot.Ain't enough garlic on this planet![only joking].But this is my first guzzi and compared to all the other bikes i've ridden [all from Japan] this is the most unreliable.Yet its the best bike i've ridden,plus i can purchase a aprilla sl 1000 brand new for £49999 [04] talk about a rock and a hard place!

Guest Nogbad
But this is my first guzzi and compared to all the other bikes i've ridden [all from Japan] this is the most unreliable.Yet its the best bike i've ridden,

51834[/snapback]

Yes. You have discovered that bikes can have that undefinable intangible quality called "soul". The V11 really feels alive compared with the anodyne efficency of a Japanese bike. Also, it requires some skill to get the best out of it, leading to a more satisfying ride.

Unreliability? Perhaps. They are probably inconsistent compared with a Jap. Just like a woman, a Guzzi can be either a wonderful friend, or an inconsolable depressing money pit. You can't tell which until you really get to know her..... :)