Driving box (cardan) paint is Flaking

sharky

Hi Guys,

I've heard about wrinkling paint on the motor, but my "V11 sport 2003 Rosso" has flaking paint on the driving Box (cardan).

Suddenly after 2300 kms large pieces of paint are gone.

Does anybody has the same experience?

And what do you suggest to doo?

I have no more guarantee I think, because I didn't buy the bike at an official dealer.

Mayby I can strip the paint totally, and have it painted in a colour which fits the bike.

Sharky

DSC07069__Large_.JPG

DSC07071__Large_.JPG

Wow! thats really bad. I cant believe we're having so much trouble with that paint. I'm thinking maybe you should just strip the old paint off & repaint it. Once the paint flakes like that theres no stopping it. Like I posted earlier if anyone knows what paint most closely matches the original, please let us know.

what you can see is that youre loosing it at the edges, the backside isn't painted, so corrosion goes behind the paint from there. The good news: stripping the paint is easy, strong paintstripper will do. The wrinckle paint is a bad idea back there, all dirt goes into it. So you can leave it blank alu, paint it gray, or flat black again.

Heh, mine CAME NEW like that, touched-up from the factory in those places :P

Yeah, we've seen several of the bevel boxes on ~2002 "fuzzy paint" models flake off as well, some worse than yours. So far though, most of the paint failures are on the engine block itself.

What's interesting is that the failures of the paint on the engine(heat related, bubbling) and other locations like the bevel(contamination intrusion, flaking) seem to be from different causes, and slightly different results.

I can only assume that in general, Guzzi got a bad batch of paint with the "fuzzy" finish :huh2:

al

Heh, mine CAME NEW like that, touched-up from the factory in those places  :P

Yeah, we've seen several of the bevel boxes on ~2002 "fuzzy paint" models flake off as well, some worse than yours.  So far though, most of the paint failures are on the engine block itself.

What's interesting is that the failures of the paint on the engine(heat related, bubbling) and other locations like the bevel(contamination intrusion, flaking) seem to be from different causes, and slightly different results.

I can only assume that in general, Guzzi got a bad batch of paint with the "fuzzy" finish  :huh2:

al

52504[/snapback]

More likely, MG did a poor job of surface treating in preparation for paint job. Every Guzzi I have has some flaking somewhere. The Sport 1100i's were notorious for the paint on the rim peeling off. Maybe it's just because the bikes are largely hand built and the handprints are still on the pieces on the way into the paint booth...

Hi Guys,

I've heard about wrinkling paint on the motor, but my "V11 sport 2003 Rosso" has flaking paint on the driving Box (cardan).

Suddenly after 2300 kms large pieces of paint are gone.

Does anybody has the same experience?

And what do you suggest to doo?

I have no more guarantee I think, because I didn't buy the bike at an official dealer.

Mayby I can strip the paint totally, and have it painted in a colour which fits the bike.

Sharky

52426[/snapback]

HI,exactly same on my 02 Roso. I stripped beval box off bike . Paintsripped all old off.Sprayed etch primer then used a engine heat resistant satin matt black paint Results fine but of course lost thefactory crinkle...

Off to the TT in couple of days and when return will start thinking of tackling engine paint which looks terible now......

But hey,,its a Guzzi an I love it!

More likely, MG did a poor job of surface treating in preparation for paint job. Every Guzzi I have has some flaking somewhere. The Sport 1100i's were notorious for the paint on the rim peeling off. Maybe it's just because the bikes are largely hand built and the handprints are still on the pieces on the way into the paint booth...

52521[/snapback]

Sounds likely. Handprints and other soils, compressor oil in the air lines, operators not following process guidelines, there's any number of variables that apparently got out of control in the paint department. There's a term, "intercoat adhesion" which denotes coat adhesion to substrate and between coats which apparently is very weak or non-existent on those engine cases, wheels, rear drives, etc.

Well, at least our frames aren't breaking in half!  :homer:

2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000 Frame Failure

:wacko:

52563[/snapback]

Ouch! Sure glad that the old Gooser has a steel frame. Holy smoke.......

Søren