Anyone in Virgina available to

jrt

I got to work this morning and found this email from board-member Bill Hagan:

I send this from a Holiday Inn Express in Hillsville, Virginia, i.e., in the southwestern corner of the state.

The EV is dead (more-or-less tech explanation follows).

This is a mass mailing, and many of you will likely get this after the present info has been overcome by events, but here goes.

Picked up EV from dealer yesterday.  Had been "bucking" in classic TPS-dying fashion (I've been there before).  That may have been the problem, or part of it, as the TPS had gas in it.  So, the dealer--good folks, btw--replaced the TPS after checking out some other options.

Anyway, I'm 410 miles from there (and about same from national rally (!)), so it obviously ran pretty well ... sort of. 

About 30 miles from dealer, did the "no power for a second" routine two or three times.  Shix.  Then, ran like a top 'til I got to Virginia state line.  Out of the blue, in BFE Virginia, nothing.  Nothing.  Lost power (spark?).

As I felt very sorry myself, miles from anything except a mildly interested cow, darn if it didn't start, and ran until I got here, a few miles later.  Then last night, I got to push it (uphill, yikes!) from the restaurant to the motel.  I'm still tired from that. 

OK, I have my MGNOC contact list here somewhere ... and Dean Rose, in Roanoke, whom I was supposed to meet to ride rest of way with is trying to absorb what Guzziology might have to say.

I am assuming (yes, yes, I know), this is a spark issue, but here are more precise symptoms:

Will not start.  When ignition on, no headlight or fuel pump, but instrument lights do come on.

All fuses look good, but I am about to go outside and swap around relays and do same or replace fuses.

So, if you have an idea, I can check this email now and then in the hotel lobby.

My EV is parked outside the room--107 at the Holiday Inn Express, 276.728.2120.  I must make a check-out decision by 11.

Also have my cell phone with me.  Unfortunately, it's on "roam," tho I don't mind the cost--so PLEASE do call if you have some inspiration (in my reach as a wrench!)--it's just that while on roam, I often don't get anything but v/m, so if you call, try room first.

Atlanta dealer opens at 10, so I will trouble them then.  Better look into U-Haul again.  I am feeling very sorry for myself.

Pathetically,

Bill

I am of no help here

But I feel for Bill, the gearbox spring last year on the billybob and now this. I would understand it if he gave up on guzzi. It all depends on how many miles he has put in else where on each bike.

I know I ocasionaly have adulterous thoughts as I shed exhaust components about the country side, and other minor niggles, and watch the paint either blister or fall off.

Last year for the international V11 I took out single foriegn trip RAC cover (£35). Belt and braces as still had the Euro assistance that came with the bike, nothing like trust the product! I will almost certainly be taking out the years cover (£85 I think) to cover the Erin (still have Euro assistance for this one) and the GMG (though Debs has now raised objections to a week away)

I dunno. I got another email this morning and it appears Bill worked something out- his bikes in the shop, somebody is getting married...I'm not sure what happened, but I guess it's all good now.

J

wheres this guy live ? im not far from that dealer...

i have to be in atlanta some next week and can either give him

a ride or possibly haul his bike if he lives down that way

52851[/snapback]

Wow. Had not checked in here 'cuz it was the EV that ditched me (this time), not the Ballabio. Thanks, J.

I am VERY interested in the transportation possibility, Bshpilot, as I spent $450 to get the EV to Winchester! :(

Thought I'd see what was new here while I wait for the (very nervous) groom to dress for the rehearsal (wedding is tomorrow :D ).

Anyway, the EV is at Winchester Moto Sport. They said they'd call me later today, but I am not optimistic. The "low battery" is an interesting thought, as it is 5 YO! As I ride every day, it has stayed charged, but I did mention that fact to WMS. Also know, had just had alternator replaced, tho I did check for usual suspects of loose connections from that.

Here is what I sent by email to WMS, and called and asked them to read:

From: Bill & Kathi Hagan [Add to Address Book] Flag Message | Mark Unread

[This is spam]

To: info@winchestermotosports.com

Cc: parts@atlantatriumphducati.com, service@atlantatriumphducati.com, wrhagan@earthlink.net, jason@atlantatriumphducati.com, michael@atlantatriumphducati.com, paul@atlantatriumphducati.com

Subject: Bill Hagan's 1998 V11 EV

Date: May 26, 2005 5:01 PM

Hello from Arlington.

I know you probably could do without unsolicited "hep" from confused owners,

but I did want to share what many Guzzisti have called me, emailed, or posted

on the wildguzzi discussion board on this issue based on the symptoms I described.

As you have likely discovered by now, my 1998 EV

HAS:

-turnsignals

-taillight

-brake light

-tach

-speedo

-MOST dashlights

IT DOES NOT HAVE:

-fuel pump

-starter

-oil pressure light

-headlight

The items that light up get hot from the feed side of the run-stop switch. Stuff

I can't get is on the downstream side. The headlight is not fed through the switch,

but has connections in the same housing.

My friends suggested I take it apart, get rid of the rust, clean the connections

and ride until I could get a new assembly. After checking fuses and swapping out

relays, I checked under both the handlebar switch and the chrome frame cover to

front of gas tank. I did not see visible corrosion. In fact, both were cleaner

looking than I expected. That does not mean that there isn't corrosion there,

and, based on data, it is that circuit that I believe is the trouble.

Hope you do not mind emails such as this, as I simply wish to save you time in your search for the culprit. If you have questions about what my Atlanta dealer did recently, please call and speak to Michael Long or Paul Bunde at 678.904.1414.

Thanks again for your support.

Bill Hagan

And, for the "still snowed in late May crowd," even more info is at:

http://wildguzzi.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=2750

http://wildguzzi.com/discussion/viewtopic....er=asc&start=45

Bshpilot,

That is a MIGHTY generous offer and you, sir, have my respect.

If you do wind up hauling the HDM down to Inman Park for Bill please plan on taking notes. We expect a report (finally an unbiased one) on the Garagemahal. :D

ok im confused about who this is coming from and how much of a delay there

is.

i will not be headed to atlanta until tuesday at the earliest...for the moment

id planned to ride one of my motorcycles but im flexible (other than the

departure...as required by my work).

i have room to store the bike & load it up if necessary...but we'll have to

work that out some what quickly (as ill be away for the holiday weekend

and certainly winchester will be closed for the holiday monday anyway).

i can be reached via the following toll free number...it will forward and track

me down to either my cell or home based office...

dial the number, then speak the words when prompted... for "location, name"

then when it starts to read you back an internal extension say "connect"

877.IBM.NAME (4266263), fairfax, don rumsey,....connect

52880[/snapback]

I'm calling you in about 5 mins!

I do NOT wish to have you miss a m/c ride to haul one.

Hope to hear that mine will be OK (but hope is not a method), but expecting worst.

Am in Marriott in Bethesda just now. Will start back Mon or Tues if EV is ready. If not, and you still offer ride, I am VERY flexible.

BTW, garage is ready for guest Guzzis and spare room available for company. Live in Inman Park, downtown.

Bill

Guest bshpilot

Met Bill this morning...bike still not fixed, He's gone on to deal w/ the wedding.

Ive got the bike safe & sound in my garage til we head down to Atlanta Tuesday.

Its a good thing my V11 Sport is in Houston....it'd have been a Tight fit w/ it

in the garage too !

post-1149-1117316245_thumb.jpg

Guest bshpilot
So,did they tell you what it took to fix it?

53111[/snapback]

nope...and i think bill now understand why i dont

take MY stuff there !

w/ the KEY ON, theres power to the turn signals

and guages, but the starter doesnt turn over...

apparently they by passed the run/stop switch

and ran power DIRECT to the starter...the starter

turned OVER but the bike wouldnt start.

nope...and i think bill now understand why i dont

take MY stuff there !

w/ the KEY ON, theres power to the turn signals

and guages,  but the starter doesnt turn over...

apparently they by passed the run/stop switch

and ran power DIRECT to the starter...the starter

turned OVER but the bike wouldnt start.

53116[/snapback]

Well, the EV's now at Wayne Orwig's place at Hog Mountain; Wayne is, as many of you know, a Guzzi wrench and rider extraordinaire. And, I am home, sipping a G&T and being a bachelor slob 'til Kathi flies in tomorrow.

Bshpilot met me (and chauffer Kathi) at a gas station in Front Royal, Va., at 5 a.m. today.

He already had the EV in his monster pick-up truck, and then drove me to Wayne's place outside Atlanta, then to my house in the middle of that urban blob. 'Mazing.

All he wants for repayment is a guided tour of bike night at the Vortex in Little 5 Points Thursday night. :bier: Uh ... make that :bier::bier::bier::D

That BFT (that would be Big F Truck) got us to Wayne's by 2 and my house before 3. Pretty impressive given the FOG and gendarmes out and about.

Am grateful beyond words (and will do more for him than words) for BP's (and his indulgent wife's) generosity. His unknowing friends and ours were stupefied that anyone would leave a m/c or take it somewhere for another ... yet everyone here understands and would have done the same.

BTW, yes, he got a tour of the Motorimessa. And, if BP's VERY lucky, he and I will have a ceremonial Peroni and be the very first to christen the Motorimessa's "facility," HD decal and all. :P:D:mg: