First decent ride

GuzzBun

Had my first proper ride on the MGS01 today - fetched him from West Sussex up to Derby - mainly A and motorway, but some good minor roads too. First impression is that it's a good distance bike - does well over 160 miles to the tank, and the seat is quite comfortable even for a bony a**e like me! Obviously had to keep the speed down for running in, but 4000rpm gives about 128 kph (can't find how to make the speedo read in miles!)

Will definitely have to get some mirrors fitted - does anyone know where I can find decent small round mirrors that will fit in the bar ends - only want about 2 inches diameter maximum?

Pietro has done a splendid job of 'road-legalising' it - fitted an LED brake light and a decent horn, plus an ignition cutout key, very nicely mounted in the starboard carbon panel. Also fashioned a superb alloy reg plate carrier - once I can get into the garage I'll take some pics and post them.

Yes, it was expensive - no, it's not the fastest bike on the planet - but it sure made a lot of heads turn today.

There appears to be a tiny oil weep from the starboard head/block interface - nothing dramatic, but rather disappointing considering the hype the bike received - you'd think they'd have made sure there were no leaks! Perhaps it will disappear once the head is check-tightened after 500 miles.

Robin

Had my first proper ride on the MGS01 today - fetched him from West Sussex up to Derby - mainly A and motorway, but some good minor roads too. First impression is that it's a good distance bike - does well over 160 miles to the tank, and the seat is quite comfortable even for a bony a**e like me! Obviously had to keep the speed down for running in, but 4000rpm gives about 128 kph (can't find how to make the speedo read in miles!)

Will definitely have to get some mirrors fitted - does anyone know where I can find decent small round mirrors that will fit in the bar ends - only want about 2 inches diameter maximum?

Pietro has done a splendid job of 'road-legalising' it - fitted an LED brake light and a decent horn, plus an ignition cutout key, very nicely mounted in the starboard carbon panel. Also fashioned a superb alloy reg plate carrier - once I can get into the garage I'll take some pics and post them.

Yes, it was expensive - no, it's not the fastest bike on the planet - but it sure made a lot of heads turn today.

There appears to be a tiny oil weep from the starboard head/block interface - nothing dramatic, but rather disappointing considering the hype the bike received - you'd think they'd have made sure there were no leaks! Perhaps it will disappear once the head is check-tightened after 500 miles.

Robin

52984[/snapback]

Rizoma makes great looking small mirrors. Just what your looking for. I have pics of mine on here somewhere.

Robin

Out of interest, how much more hassle would it have been to make the bike legal at night too?

Just wondered if you could have fitted minimalist headlights lights in a similar style to endurance racers?

Guy :helmet:

You mean from above the radiator? I've seen 2 mgs01 this weekend, they were absolutly dry, even when pushed beyond there limits.

53045[/snapback]

Don't think it's from the radiator, but then oil is like blood - a little looks like a lot, and it seems to go everywhere! First inspection suggests that it's coming from the head gasket area - nothing forward of the spark plug, and the souce looks like between the head and block fins. The semi-gloss black engine paint makes source ident very difficult.

Looking in the complimentary workshop manual, recommendations for servicing include head gasket replacement every 1200 miles!!! I hope this reflects the expected race environment usage rather than normal road use!

Robin

Robin

Out of interest, how much more hassle would it have been to make the bike legal at night too?

Just wondered if you could have fitted minimalist headlights lights in a similar style to endurance racers?

Guy  :helmet:

53046[/snapback]

Not sure, but probably quite a bit, unless the lights were entirely self-contained i.e. no connection to the main wiring loom. I don't expect to need to do any non-daylight riding on this machine, and hope that the majority of riding will be under track conditions - but it is GREAT FUN to park him up amongst the other bikes at a road meet, and see the interest shown by other riders. Sad? Yes - but then for me at least 50% of the pleasure I get from riding Guzzis is that derived from being different!

Robin

Looking in the complimentary workshop manual, recommendations for servicing include head gasket replacement every 1200 miles!!! I hope this reflects the expected race environment usage rather than normal road use!

Robin,

Maybe thighten the head will solve it? Or clean the engine with an engine cleaner, then drive until it's hot, you should find where it starts.

The replacement/service cycles in the manual are out of proportion. I'm shure that even after 1000 race km, the cylinders don't have to be replaced.

I heard today from Ghezzi, that the mgs heads are machined out of the factory, to get a better quality. :mg:

it must be a wild feeling...

I mean, it's very rare to see Benelli Triples or MV1000, you know, rare bikes...but a race-only bike legalised for street use...

cool you finally are able to drive her around !

jihem:)