V11 vs MV Agusta Brutale

Steve G.

Great weather has arrived, and it's all about the corners with the lads I ride with. So last weekend 4 bikes headed east to Osoyoos in the desert, then across the border at Midway B.C.. Destination, Kettle Falls, Washington. We had hoped to get a hotel at Grand Coulee Dam, but forgot it was Memorial Day long weekend in the U.S..On the Sunday, we headed west to Winthrop, , over the pass back home, a good 1000km [650 mile] loop, a skip in the park compared to the 8000km run on the Laverda last month.

A ride this long again has demonstrated how different bikes do things better, in different situations. With a V11 Sport, an MV Brutale, a Kawasaki Concours, and a BMW K1200GT, the equipment was glaringly different. For example, for all out sprints, the MV just rips, at hypersonic revs, a lovely chassis offering extreme agility and great feedback. The K1200 has the ability to breathlessly run 2 up at 140 mph all day, at extreme comfort, and surprisingly competant handling. The Concours has the power to do this also, well maybe at 120 mph, but old design, means it has less ability to corner agressively. The V11 it seems will do these speeds as well, and all day if need be, but at less confort than the 2 touring machines, but more comfort than the MV.

While it really is apples and oranges to compare the two small bikes against the 2 big ones, I think it's fair to assume that the 2 smaller bikes could be in the same category, and a seat of the pants comparison was done by both owners of both bikes. The first thing I noticed with the MV is the extreme high revs is does. Would you believe 10,000rpm at 125 mph? And it gets there real fast, and will hold it there no problem. The fuel injection is the finest I've ever experienced. The seating position is quite comfortable, but at those speeds, not for very long. A list of what I will call negatives, one, it buzzes more than my early V11, two, it gets only 22mpg [u.S.] , three, it actually seems to be less capable at super tight stuff than the V11, which actually is a little sweetheart in the tight canyon stuff. My new Alpine Stars riding boots have 3/4inch bevels already from this ride. The V11 engine on the other hand has a low reving lope by comparison, and the revs must be brought up to 5500 or so to gain a holeshot over the MV out of corners, which it does with regularity. The midrange grunt, and not having to worry about a power high side mean jumping out of corners toward the next one. It really does work well that way. It just doesn't have the real big kick to really stretch out the long sweapers. I think it has the chassis, but I guess we'll never know a long lived 125 hp 2 valve Guzzi engine. The Guzzi, now with 29,000kms, gets a decent 45mpg [u.S. gallon] averaging 125kms/hr touring, but drops to 35 if rung hard in the tight stuff. Really, the only negative with the V11 was the delays to fix the %@@%ing relays again. My buddy said it was like riding with somone with bladder problems, always stopping. I know, the GEI relays! I tried phoning today, but its still long weekend down there. The other break down was a vapour lock problem. It made me very mad and embarrassed, as it happened right in front of a bunch of Harleyoids. I know the roadside fix now, but it requires rags, and playing around with gas vapours around a hot engine. Either that or not riding in the hot weather, or letting it cool off , where it will start. I'm really going to have to re-route the plumbing on this, it just should not happen.

Ciao, Steve G.

The other break down was a vapour lock problem. It made me very mad and embarrassed

53129[/snapback]

Ditto. I'm going to re-route some plumbing as well after I have time to think about it.

Glad to hear you had fun! Nice write-up-