More on oil dip sticks

txrider

Lots of suggestions have been made on improving readibility of the curiously designed ribbed dipstick so I'm adding mine-

Use a Dremel tool and a small drum sander and remove a 1-1/2" section of one rib. Smooth with 280 grit sandpaper and you have a flat surface to read the oil level on instead of peering around those ribs.

Hi Txrider,

I'm looking for a total new oil dipstick to replace that piece of plastic s... that the company is providing

Are you aware of any other options? I would favour a metal dipstick preferably with a slightly longer knob/handle or whatever you call it. The plastic model is hard to put back in place after oil inspection.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Søren

Guest ramon61
Hi Txrider,

I'm looking for a total new oil dipstick to replace that piece of plastic s...  that the company is providing

Are you aware of any other options? I would favour a metal dipstick preferably with a slightly longer knob/handle or whatever you call it. The plastic model is hard to put back in place after oil inspection.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Søren

53527[/snapback]

MG Cycle has aluminum dipsticks that don't need to be unscrewed, much better than oem, (I have one). They even have dipsticks with oil temp. thermometers.

Regards,

ramon61

I replaced the factory one, what a silly way to design a dipstick. BUT, I do think it is unwise to cut off those ribs. They are there for a reason, and that is strength. Surely they are not there so you have trouble reading it, or for a nicer looking one.

The one I got was sourced from Moto International, curiously taking 10 months to finally deliver one, not the one I wanted, [the factory option one] but one from Teo Lamers, the straight push in one. Unfortunately, this one I got was for an 850 Lemans, so it had to be shortened. Once fixed and installed, it is much easier to read, although a couple of negatives. First, you will burn your hands trying to check the oil level when the engine is hot, and second, it is a real pain pouring oil in after an oil change.

Ciao, Steve G.

Hi guys,

thanks to you all - the MG Cycle #9 looks like the one that I need. I'll drop them a line.

Thanks Steve, Ramon and Jason :bier:

Søren

Guest MikeC

You'll like the temp gauge model. I have one on my 2002 California. I have the EZ-Pull on my V11 which looks great on the bike and works well.

Good idea to screw out the fitting when adding oil during changes or it will take a while.

I took this tip from the Wild Goose Chase site. It's quick, easy and has worked well for me...

"Another dipstick tip from Joe Cook:

The dipstick on my Cal 1100i was nearly impossible to read. The remedy was to paint one of the groves with white fingernail polish. I've been about 12,000 miles and it hasn't came off."

Ride Safe-

Mike

I have a metal "thermometer" dipstick from MG-Cycle that works fine, and I painted it as well for ease of reading.

But for the stock dipstick, the best modification I've heard of is to drill three or four little holes through the center, one at the high, one at the low mark, and one or two inbetween. The oil over/in the holes makes for easy reading.

al

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of suggestions have been made on improving readibility of the curiously designed ribbed dipstick so I'm adding mine-

Use a Dremel tool and a small drum sander and remove a 1-1/2" section of one rib.  Smooth with 280 grit sandpaper and you have a flat surface to read the oil level on instead of peering around those ribs.

53500[/snapback]

Well this oneOil stickwill definatelly improve the redability and quality of what you have already in your bike.

I myself have purhased one and I would recomend it 100% ,quality is TOP and so is the price.Moto Schmitz has some "Gadgets" for Guzzis with style and very good quality made.

The aluminium makes best contrast with oil , so in terms of redability you wont find anything better.

This is also another option but I have not tried it.Oil Stick 2

Guest ratchethack

I have an all-aluminum dipstick, the OEM one for my 2000 Sport. I first tried a couple passes with different grit belts on my belt sander to put some texture on the rod. This didn't help much.

What finally worked like a Champ was to flat-side the rod with the belt sander, then use a Dremel tool with a medium-size burr to put a row of golf-ball-dimple-sized depressions every 1/8" along the flat side. The little depressions retain and "magnify" the color of the oil. It works great, even when the oil is brand-new. :thumbsup: