V11S Fuel Filter Alternative

Guest tmartin

Guest tmartin

I'm looking for a fuel filter alternative to the stock filter. Several MG lists state that a Napa Gold 3008 will fit but these filters use banjo fittings on each end. The fuel filter in my 2k V11S has 5/16" male hose fittings on both ends. Anyone know of a part number----Wix, Fram, Napa, etc?

From the MGCL:

According to an old post from Will, if it uses the same one as a 1100

sport,

the cross reference is Napa Gold 3023BP, Fram G-477, WIX 33023, AC

Delco

GR-600.  Fits Nissan Pathfinder V-6.  It won't fit the Guzzi bracket,

so use

tie wraps or a sheet of rubber wrap.

Not sure how reliable my info is but from some list (cant remember which) I came up with the following apparently cross referenced against the Napa Gold 3008.

TBIG"A" 95008, Beck/Arney worldpart 043-0660, Hastings GF106, Bosch 0-450-905-021, WIX 33008, VW-AUDI 431-133-511 & 431-133-511A

ps I suspect fuel filters are not as critical for fit as oil filters.

Guest tmartin

I just installed a Wix 33023 fuel filter (fits a Nissan Pathfinder V6). It fit using the stock clamp with a couple of wraps of duct tape. The Wix filter is about 1-1/2" shorter than stock so I changed the hose from the fuel pump to the filter for a longer one. Wix filter was around $13. I will now be able to replace my front tire with the money I saved from not having to buy the stock Weber filter.

"ps I suspect fuel filters are not as critical for fit as oil filters."

I would be more cautious than that. Fuel spewing out at 42psi tends to be awfully dangerous. More so if it's a fine spray. I haven't heard of any mishaps with the fuel filters on the EFI Moto Guzzi's, but I sure wouldn't want it to happen to anywone.

Let me rephrase that idea. Fuel filter fits are critical where it comes to the hose fitting the fitting. The rest of the fit is not AS critical. ie diameter and length of filter are not as critical as that for an oil filter. I would not use the type of inline filters that were used on carb motorcycles and cars.

But, probably any filter made for a fuel injected engine that has the same Outter Diameter hose fittings will work fine.

Of course I could be wrong and flow capacities and pressure ratings may vary greatly.

Any idea if there are any issues other than hose fitting.

Carl, should I take my fuel filter listings off of my website?

What is wrong with an original fuel filter from MG? I never saw any complaints against this one.

I have one waiting to be replaced at my 20k km service - paid $18 Canadian last time i saw my dealer. He never mentioned there were any problems with fuel filters.

When the Sport 1100i's and Daytona RS's showed up in 1997, the fuel filter was $61 U.S. currency. That's why there was/is an issue with the cost. I just bought (without checking first - shame on me) a set of sparkplug cables for a V11 Sport. The wires (2) came to $33.72 USD, the spark plug caps (2) came to $61.12 USD. If you don't think that this is some kind of unbelievable rip-off, then let me know. I'll be happy to take them off of my Sport 1100i and sell them to you for 2/3rds my purchase price. They have all of 11 minutes run time on them.

Dave, I don't see any reason why you would need to remove the filter listings. I've used several of these and have had no problems. I would suspect that all fuel injection filters are capable of withstanding at least 2X the pressure of a typical pressurized fuel system simply because of the litigious nature of our society. That leaves only the particulate filtering size, and flow capabilities, physical size and fittings to address. They probably all spec the same particulate size, we're dealing with motorcycles not behemeth V12's on luxury cars, so flow is not likely a problem. That leaves size and fittings and that's where your list comes in handy.

FWIW, I have 3 MG EFI bikes, so I get the ignominious pleasure of changing fuel filters somewhat more often than most. On the California, it takes nearly 3 hours to change the filter. It is simply inaccessable without removing a ton of stuff from the bike. On the Sport 1100i, it is a lot better, but still difficult to access. On the V11 Sport (I haven't done mine yet and I'm 1000 miles overdue for the first change), the location of the filter is really good and I'm looking forward to it. For any of these bikes. The "Y" fitting that splits the filter output to each injector may have old fuel hose on it and will start leaking after a year or two. MG apparantly made about a quadrillion of these "Y" fittings with hoses at the initial start of FI bike production and stuck them in the parts bin. I have no idea as whether that batch was used up at some point and we're all now dealing with newer parts or whether the bikes are still shipping with old hoses. Just be aware that the "Y" fitting hoses will leak first due to age if that is the case. Additionally, go to a BMW shop and get the hose clamps intended for fuel lines as opposed to the ones intended for general purpose use.

Thanks Carl,

So unless I hear that one is better than the other, I will add the pathfinder filter to the list on my page.

Is it easy to find a Y fitting? Perhaps at a BMW motorcycle dealer? Are cheap plastic ones up to the task?

The Guzzi Y fitting is metal and is fine. Just replace the hoses attached to it. Since you have to cut off the crimped hose clamps, just be sure to use hose clamps intended for FI systems. Plastic fittings? Perish the thought, it's about 42PSI or more in there.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a Napa Gold 3008 and it threaded to except some sort of threaded fitting. Did I get the right filter? I have not looked at the OE filter on my bike yet, but I presume it looks like the filter in the manual with fittings to slide a hose over and not female threads.....

If this is the right filter, do I just need hoses and fittings?

What do I ask for?

Braided steel fuel lines???

Here is the low down from NAPA:

Attributes:

Attributes: Fuel Filter (Gold)

Style: F

Height (Inches): 5.355''

Height (mm): 136.01MM

O.D. (Inches): 2.52''

O.D. (mm): 64MM

Inlet Thread Size (Inches): .578''

Inlet Thread Size (mm): M14X1.50