Good Cycle Backpacks?

Guest Fly4hire

Guest Fly4hire

My touring these days is usually nothing more than day rides with the occasional 1 or 2 day overnight. As I really don't need to carry much more than a change of cloths and toothbrush I thought I might be able to get buy with a decent back pack rather than expenses of racks, soft baggs etc. that will see very sporadic use

Does anyone know of any good backpacks that are motorcycle specific, with optimized position of shoulder straps that might work well? There are some out there that are designed to carry a helmet, but that's fluff and the helmet is supposed to be on your head not in your luggage.

Thanks.

BTW, just sold by BMW K12RS today :D and am having way, way more fun on my Coppa than I have had on any bike for years :helmet:

Fly4Hire

I've got the Guzzi tankbag, which unzips and turns into a backpack.. I use it for commuting, and it holds my Thinkpad and other stuff pretty well.. When I get to the office, I just unzip it from the base, pop out the straps and fling it over my shoulder.

I have a bigger FAMSA tankbag on my Tuono, and it also converts into a backpack.

I think riding with a backpack is a PITA.

Cheers, Tim

Guest MikeC

Mine is made by Fox. I like it and it works great while riding either of my bikes.

I found mine at a large multi Jap bike dealership.

Mike

Fly4Hire

I've got the Guzzi tankbag, which unzips and turns into a backpack..  I use it for commuting, and it holds my Thinkpad and other stuff pretty well..  When I get to the office, I just unzip it from the base, pop out the straps and fling it over my shoulder.

I have a bigger FAMSA tankbag on my Tuono, and it also converts into a backpack.

I think riding with a backpack is a PITA.

Cheers, Tim

53922[/snapback]

I'll second that. I went for the Oxford tankbag but I found out that my tank isn't magnetic, so back to square one. I ended up with the Guzzi tankbag as it is designed for the hump we have on our tanks. Works well and as Tim says you can also use it as a backpack. Recommendable.

Cheers

Søren

Guest Fly4hire
I'll second that. I went for the Oxford tankbag but I found out that my tank isn't magnetic, so back to square one. I ended up with the Guzzi tankbag as it is designed for the hump we have on our tanks. Works well and as Tim says you can also use it as a backpack. Recommendable.

53962[/snapback]

OK who sells these on-line at a reasonable price, and has anyone found a way to use one without rubbing or scuffing the paint - my biggest problem with tankbags?

OK who sells these on-line at a reasonable price, and has anyone found a way to use one without rubbing or scuffing the paint - my biggest problem with tankbags?

53965[/snapback]

I use the tankbag every day and so far there hasn't been any scuffing whatsoever. I'm not using any protecting layer or anything so I'm quite impressed.

Søren

Guest motomaniac

I've got a Marsee tank bag, and everytime I use it, it leaves marks on the tank. Little checkerboard looking pattern marks from the underside rubber covering of the bag. They're not "scuffs", because they can be cleaned up with a towel. I finally played safe and bought a lambskin rag, cut it to fit the bottom of the tank bag, and use it under the bag.

Problem is, now I'm overly worried about the nylon straps. :huh2:

I like the MG tank-bag, and haven't had any trouble with.

The only problem I have had is that my laptop barely fits inside the bag, almost to a fault. So I really need a backpack or messenger bag option when commuting to work.

al

The zipper is standard YKK brand, I think. Why not take the bag to an upholstery shop or seamstress (seamster?) shop and have a purpose-built laptop bag that would zip onto the Guzzi tank bra?

My ibook fits inside my tankbag with enough room to wrap it in a tshirt.

Dont usually bother with luggage,thats what pockets are for, or if it's bulky, stick it down yer jumper.When travelling with the better half,she wears a Richa backpack that takes all she needs for a weekend, and is totally waterproof. Very expandable too,you could almost fit a Pan European riders' head inside.