First Service???

Guest Troutrider

Guest Troutrider

I'm taking the Rosso in for it's first checkup tommorrow. I know that they should check the valves and change the fluids. Should I expect them to retorque the heads? Should they synch the F.I.? I plan on doing all these things in the future and hopefully not have to visit a dealer again. The guy quoted me a time figure and rate and I just wondered what to expect. I usually put a dab of paint on one of the bolts to be removed for each item. I've busted 2 BMW dealers on my first service for not checking the valves. One even showed me his shop checklist which said to check valves and then said they never do it unless they have a reason to. This after I showed him that the valve cover hadn't been removed. Hopefully this time my faith in dealer service will be restored.

Troutrider

Hmmm, I hope this is a good dealer. Yes, they should set the valves- preferably to Euro specs. They should set and synch the throttle bodies as well. On the newer engines, a head re-torque is not necessary. Some folks still do it, some don't. On the older bikes, (round fins) it was recommended.

Guest putt-meister

The dealer should perform all of the items shown in your manual for the first service which includes the things you mentioned. Don't get your hopes up about your faith being restored. :( I think it is a good idea to mark things as you have done in the past.

My limited experience with having the throttle bodies sync'd is not all that good. One thing that the dealers don't seem to take the time doing is getting rid of that awful yellow paint that is used to lock the adjustments in place. In my opinion it is difficult to adjust the linkage properly without first cleaning that stuff out of all the threads. Also they sometimes make adjustments based on CO meter measurements and not on what makes the bike run its best.

Best of luck. The best thing long-tem is to get what knowledge and equipment you don't have and do it yourself. It also fun :D

Guest Troutrider

I walked in as the tech was finishing the F.I. synch. He was using the Twinmax. It looked good. They seemed to do everything. I spoke with the tech for a while about different things. It's been pouring rain since I left to go up there. I can't wait to ride it. He said it was quite a bit different as he did a before and after test ride. We'll see.

Troutrider