Pawl Spring snaps - I knew immediately

dbdicker

Well, at least it wasn't a surprise. My tranny pawl return spring went at almost exactly 7,000 miles this morning. I got lucky: Although I was 60 miles from home, the tranny was left in 4th gear, so I had plenty of torque to get going from a start and still could do over 60mph on the highway at about 5K RPM.

Thanks to this forum, I know exactly what to order and replace, the new pawl arm with the smaller diameter boss and a new spring. Another thing sorted. Hate to have joined this club, but at least I know precisely how to fix this.

Dan

Well, at least it wasn't a surprise.  My tranny pawl return spring went at almost exactly 7,000 miles this morning.  I got lucky:  Although I was 60 miles from home, the tranny was left in 4th gear, so I had plenty of torque to get going from a start and still could do over 60mph on the highway at about 5K RPM.

Thanks to this forum, I know exactly what to order and replace, the new pawl arm with the smaller diameter boss and a new spring.  Another thing sorted.  Hate to have joined this club, but at least I know precisely how to fix this.

Dan

54420[/snapback]

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear that but welcome in the club of broken springs......

Søren

PS: Mine went south at 3000 km

Guest tinyelvis

ahhhh my first post - well, besides my intro - is a question about this. My bike is now in the shop because I couldn't get it to shift into 3rd sometimes 4th after it was warm.. it's weird, I never had this problem when the bike was cold... I had to ride it around for a good hour.

Anyway, sometimes I could smash it back down into second, then back up to 3rd and it would work... then shift through the gears normally. It really feels mechanical too when it's messing up.. I don't know though. My dealer didn't know what to make of it, but I sent him a link to this forum and the other topic that had a diagram of what is wrong. I think this is what my problem is though.

I guess my question is.. can this thing go bad gradually? I think that's what's happening here.. or is my problem something to do w/that tranny recall.. which I don't know if it was done on my bike or not actually... I need more info. on that. UGH.. I just wanna riiiide...

...I guess my question is.. can this thing go bad gradually? ...

Both times mine went it was pretty much without warning. Really only the previous couple of changes around third were a bit rough.

Dan, Oh well least it's happened now - you can stop waiting on it! Good luck.

KB :sun:

Guest Dave Pott

Please leave me out of your lousy "Club" -_-

15K and no membership needed.....Ouch! My knuckles hurt from knocking on wood :(

:notworthy: Oh merciful Guzzi Gods please continue to be good to me.

Guest Nogbad
:notworthy: Oh merciful Guzzi Gods please continue to be good to me.

54532[/snapback]

These Gods don't know the meaning of mercy......

You better sacrifice a virgin.

Guest tinyelvis

Hmm.. this has to be the problem with mine, and it's an '03. I hope it doesn't break I'm going on a road trip soon! UGH..

Quite honestly this bike has been a pain from day 1.. I hope this is the last of the major issues. I really love riding it.. when it's not broken.

Both times mine went it was pretty much without warning. Really only the previous couple of changes around third were a bit rough.

Dan, Oh well least it's happened now - you can stop waiting on it! Good luck.

KB :sun:

54531[/snapback]

Eh, KB? Now what should I wait for next? :huh2: The exploding clutch? :o

Actually, I have a good feeling that this is the LAST thing needing sorting.........2 years after purchase. I think after this is done, I can ride worry-free for the next 50,000 miles :not::rolleyes:

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

As additional info:

Went into my favorite mechanic to have him swap out the spring and pawl arm. (Ducati dealer)

He listened to my tale, and then wordlessly took me over to the parts bin, where 2 other spring/pawl arm replacements were waiting for Ducatis already in his shop!!!

"Apparently, Italy is a small country and all these guys shop in the same parts stores!!", he says.

Anyway, it's not a problem unique to MotoGuzzi.

Dan

As additional info:

Went into my favorite mechanic to have him swap out the spring and pawl arm. (Ducati dealer)

He listened to my tale, and then wordlessly took me over to the parts bin, where 2 other spring/pawl arm replacements were waiting for Ducatis already in his shop!!!

"Apparently, Italy is a small country and all these guys shop in the same parts stores!!", he says.

Anyway, it's not a problem unique to MotoGuzzi.

Dan

55901[/snapback]

Pull your alternator cover off & see if it doesnt say Ducati in there! Mine does

latest update:

Repairs finished. Apparently, the boss on the pawl arm in the machine WAS THE EXACT SAME SIZE as the replacement arm I bought to be swapped in. My mechanic filed down a burr on the spring end and could find nothing else to recommend to guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

Boss size might not be the engineering fault that causes these springs to go. At least it wasn't in my case.

Now what? dunno, except to order extra springs and keep 'em handy. At least I'm back on the road.

Dan