Adjustment Screw

Guest MikeC

Guest MikeC

I was tinkering with the bike and noticed the large acorn nut so I decided to see what was under it. To my amazement there was a large adjustment screw with a locking nut under it. This is right next to shifter where it enters the transmission case.

What does it adjust?

Mike

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest putt-meister

Since no one has responded I will give it a stab. The part of the adjustment bolt that is inside the transmission has been machined to form a shaft that is eccentric or offset from the bolt itself. This shaft goes into a window in a flange that is attached to the shifter shaft. The eccentric shaft limits the rotation, or thow, of the shifter shaft for up and down shifts. The eccentric nature of the shaft allows for adjustment of the travel by rotating it for proper shifting.

Where are the experts? Did I guess right? :huh:

Guest MikeC
Since no one has responded I will give it a stab.  The part of the adjustment bolt that is inside the transmission has been machined to form a shaft that is eccentric or offset from the bolt itself.  This shaft goes into a window in a flange that is attached to the shifter shaft.  The eccentric shaft limits the rotation, or thow, of the shifter shaft for up and down shifts.  The eccentric nature of the shaft allows for adjustment of the travel by rotating it for proper shifting.

Where are the experts?  Did I guess right? :huh:

54564[/snapback]

Putt...I guess I stumped them all with this one. :rasta:

Putt...I guess I stumped them all with this one. :rasta:

54643[/snapback]

You sure stumped this chump.

I assume you are talking about part 9

I am about to tear my gearbox off to seal it.

Does anyone know which is the breaking Pawl spring?

Maybe I can figure out what that adjuster is....It looks like it adusts the relationship of the shifter to the dog ears or something like that.

sidegearbox0ew.gifClick here for bigger image

Guest MikeC
You sure stumped this chump.

I assume you are talking about part 9

I am about to tear my gearbox off to seal it.

Does anyone know which is the breaking Pawl spring?

Maybe I can figure out what that adjuster is....It looks like it adusts the relationship of the shifter to the dog ears or something like that.

sidegearbox0ew.gifClick here for bigger image

54658[/snapback]

Yea, I think it's part 9. Do you also have the page with the written name of each part you can post?

Mike

Guest MikeC
Number 25 is the infamous pawl spring.

54660[/snapback]

What is the procedure for replacing it. Does the tranny need to be pulled and opened up.

Mike

Guest ratchethack

Gents! I'm not exactly certain on this, but I'm with Putt-Meister. I believe that #9 is likely the shift detent mechanism that controls the start and end point of travel of the shift lever, and keeps the lever from drifting out of it's selected position. What I'm much more certain of is that it's not necessary to remove the trans to access this. Dave, by all means - save yourself the effort of a fairly "non-trivial" operation. :o The trans side plate can be easily removed with the trans in the frame, but if you're just sealing the point where #9 enters the side-plate, you don't even have to go that far. Do you mean to say you were planning on taking the trans out just for this??!! :huh2:

The infamous pawl spring is #25. I'm not superstitious, but I do carry a spare. OK, I AM superstitious. I figure as long as I have it with me like some kind of a talisman, it keeps Murphy at bay. :thumbsup:

There is a thread around here somewhere about replacing the spring. It's a good how to. Starts with disconnecting the battery, removing the starter, tilting the bike over so the oil doesn't run out or drain it ahead of time. One of the M6 screws is a tight squeeze between the screw and the frame so you'll need to cut off a piece of allen wrench to remove that pesky screw. I had mine done the easy way, it was still under warrantee.

I carry a spare spring right next to my karma bell. :P

Thanks people,

My leak is elsewhere, so I have to crab it.

This is just a good opportunity to clean out some muck and check the spring.

Plus the shifting has been getting worse, jamming a couple of times...

I suppose I should order a spring first...or a spare gear box...

It has never been the same since the recall work. :angry:

Plus the shifting has been getting worse, jamming a couple of times...

I suppose I should order a spring first...or a spare gear box...

54685[/snapback]

Clean the connections and grease everything up first. I bet your problem is just lack of lubrication.

No nasty jokes, ok?

Guest Nogbad

54685[/snapback]

I just really wish people wouldn't say this sort of thing........ :unsure::huh2:

I just really wish people wouldn't say this sort of thing........ :unsure:  :huh2:

54719[/snapback]

Me too!

I have been 90/140 dinolube to slow down the leaking, so that may be making it worse.

I'll go back to synthetic after it is sealed.

You had me worried for a minute there, Dave. whistle.gif Where's your leak?

It is hard to say exactly.

It seemed to from down low in the second seam or sealed face from the back.

Or if you look at the following diagram from the parts guide

http://img83.echo.cx/img83/5475/gearbox1wa.gif

it seemed to be between part number 1(front case) and number 2 (mid case)

But thanks for asking. I was pretty sure that it was from between those cases, but I just went out and took some digital photos, which gives me a better view than with the naked eye.

Now I am not so sure. :huh:

So, my new plan is to drain the oil, pull the crossover, starter, and the side gear cover.

Reverse the steps, and be sure everything accessible is well torqued and CLEAN.

Go for a slow ride and watch for leaks.

If it still indicates what I thought originally, I'll pull the gearbox or portions of it when I replace the shock spring.

Do you also have the page with the written name of each part you can post?

Mike

part 9 is called "eccentric pin"

I have to select number by number to get the name...it does not list all the part names at once.

I also want to pull the side cover to see how it adjusts :cheese:

Dave,

When you reassemble the clean transmission, put a bit of baby powder on it- the powder absorbs the oil and helps locate the leak. Dunno where I first heard that.