Still tryin to get it right

Guest hogjockey

Guest hogjockey

Ok guys here we go again, last i wrote I was haveing problems wit a low end miss and real bad fuel economy. Well Here is what I have done since then, Adjusted valves to spec. Well maybe a wee bit loose. Dialed in the TPS. Brought the throttle bodies into spec. and Im still running real rich, Like 20 MPG. Now I had my Power commander and installed it with a set of upswept mistral exhaust and cross over.

Well that took care of the low end miss, Bike runs really good except for the fuel economy. When I stop at a light right cyl starts to load up a bit ,When i rev still get puffs out of both cyl. How do you check the heat sensor, is there any way that could be causing the problem. What is the process for checking it? It seems most everything else is correct. I guess a can of gasoline and a match is a option huh. Anyway any help as usual would be helpful. A dealer is not a option for me as there is not one in my state anyway i dont have alot of confidence in them. I am also looking for a fairing without headlight cut out, something to put numbers on as the bike is just being used for track fun now.I also have a fender eliminator kit new in box for V1100S if anyone is interested. Thanks for the help :helmet:

Hogjockey- did you get your PCIII from Todd E? If so, he's the man to talk about tuning. What's your mileage up to or is it still ~21mpg? I think mid-30's is more typical.

The air temperature sensor is a resistor in your airbox. If you can get at it, then hook some leads across it, measure the resistance, and compare to the Guzzi chart (I'm going to try to include it, but numbers are very low resolution...dammit).

Same with the oil temperature sensor.

Here's the relevant verbage from the factory manual:

OIL TEMPERATURE CIRCUIT SENSORWhen the EngineTemp. item on the Dashboard Monitorpage displays an error, this meas that the electrical circuitgoing from the potentiometer to the ECU is interrupted;this means that:•The sensor is damaged or the wires are cut out;  it istherefore necessary to check the connections and thesensor’s resistance; if the sensor is damaged, replaceit as described in chapter 15 in this section;•On the rare occasion that the circuit inside the ECU isinterrupted: replace the ECU following the instructionsdescribed in chapter 13 in this section.It  is  possible  to  carry  out  a  further  test  on  the  signalcoming from the sensor using the Dashboard Monitor  frontpage. In fact, the engine temperature is displayed in themiddle of the page. When the engine is cool, this caneasily be compared with the external temperature.AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUITWhen on the Dashboard Monitor page, the AirTemp. itemdisplays an error, this meas that the electrical circuit fromthe potentiometer to the ECU is interrupted;  this meansthat:•The sensor is damaged or the wires are cut.-out: checkthe connections the sensor’s resistance. If the sensoris damaged replace it as described in chapter 14 inthis section.•On the rare occasion that the circuit inside the ECU isinterrupted: replace the ECU following the instructionsdescribed in chapter 13 in this section

And you're correct- it makes no sense at all (Dashboard Monitorpage??? WTF is that?)

Check the attached file- it contains the table of temp/resistance valuses.

(Dashboard Monitorpage??? WTF is that?)

54715[/snapback]

I think that might be from TechnoResearch's Marrelli ECU software, or specifically there 'Digital Dashboard' :huh2:

Also, the poor fuel mileage could be a result of too high of fuel pressure.

My mechanic says he can't believe how lean my bike is running, but my mileage is the same as you. 20 mpg. I get 200 kms to a tank and I'm dry as a bone, walking.

Running a PCIII with a map from Todd. Time for a dynotune to see what is actually happening, but don't have the $600 the local guys want... :huh2::huh2:

Bike runs great though... :huh2:

Rj

Guest hogjockey

I talked to the guys at Harpers, they said the sleeve on the oil temp sensor id plastic and it needs to be changed to metal one and that will resolve the problem...

Yeah kinda like clicking your heels together three times and sayin 35mpg over and over , Just aint gonna happen. I dont maybe its time to sell it....... :race:

Just a thought,

Pull the fuel tank up and make sure the air box air temp sensor is plugged in. Also, check the same at the temp sender in the right cylinder head. The sensor resistance change with temperture, that is why jrt had the chart. Now if I could just read it :homer: .

David is also correct about the high fuel pressure causing this problem. So you now have a few more things you can check.

And, if the sensors are ok, there still could be a problem with a wire being open or shorted from the sensors to the ecu and there could also be a ecu problem also. I wish you lived closer so you could borrow some parts to try out.. :huh2:

Good luck,

Mike

'marelli software'- that makes sense.

In addition to calling Harpers, you might also speak to Todd and Co at MPH Cycles. Heck, call up three or four national dealers (MI, etc.). More (educated) opinions are better....

I talked to the guys at Harpers, they said the sleeve on the oil temp sensor is plastic and it needs to be changed to metal one and that will resolve the problem...

:race:

54746[/snapback]

True. This fix has helped several bikes on the Wildguzzi forum.

Guest hogjockey

well i have been riding the bike every day since i have had it. after reading all this I will go home today after work and check the additional item s you guys mentioned. And let you all know what i find out. Oh yeah and I really do appreciate all the help. You guys are great. Thanks alot ..... I must admit after installing the perfomance parts i mentioned earlier it does wake the bike up a bit, Kinda FUN!!

But i do miss the raw power of my Blackbird and Busa.......

But i do miss the raw power of my Blackbird and Busa

Horses for courses.

I fancied a Blackbird but I don't have any won't power. I would do a !70mph. I went for enough to keep me amused with an emotional attatchment as well

Guest hogjockey
Horses for courses.

I fancied a Blackbird but I don't have any won't power.  I would do a !70mph.  I went for enough to keep me amused with an emotional attatchment as well

54794[/snapback]

I too enjoyed my blackbird, seems ther more popular in europe than the states.

OK guys can u adjust the fuel pressure on this thing or do you need to buy a new one if it is not working correctly.

and BTW the air sensor was pluged in as was the oil sensor, and the values appear to be right. I must admit Im not real good at this. But at least the low end miss is gone. I do so look forward to the day this bike will be sorted out and I can start enjoying it. Thanks for the help, Still looking for a sport fairing for this V11S

anyone have one they want to sell????????? Hey just installed some throttle miester bar ends (heavy) greatly reduced the bar buzzzz.........

• 2 weeks later...

Lex recently posted something about the regulator can only vary it by something like 10% in either direction.

Another potential culprit could be the bearings or brakes, especially the rear brake is known to stick.

Glad you are trying to keep the bike!