Rebuild blues

Guest aironepony

Guest aironepony

I have just completed about 120 miles on my newly rebuilt 1935 500S.

Yes I know it's not a V11; it's a good old 500cc thumper.

There have been a few things to fettle, the front wheel bearings ate themselves - that's my fault, I couldn't obtain new ones, so the originals were put into service. New bearings have been tracked down and fitted since then.

But, damn it, the f***ing main bearing on the timing side has now shifted in it's housing. This despited it being fitted into a perfectly serviceable housing with new bearings, sealed in place with bearing lock, and peened in place as per usual Luigi practice.

No option but to remove engine and split it into it's smallest components again.

I might have to have the housing welded and then re-machined.

S*d it!

Guest aironepony
Sad.  I hope the damage is minimal. The old bacon slicers are fine, fine machines.

55145[/snapback]

Thanks, it looks as though there is no damage, other that that to my pride. I have exposed the offending article and I will be able to re-assemble without resort to welding/machining.

I will need to sort out some better bearing lock (certainly not as old as the stuff that I've had on the shelf and used) for the refit.

The problem is,I suspect, that these engines run very hot indeed and I think that the interferance fit between the aluminium housing and the steel bearing changes.

It is therefore going to be reliant upon a suitable Locktite compound to keep it in place.

Any views on stuff like this?.................. :thumbsup:

Guest Nogbad
Any views on stuff like this?.................. :thumbsup:

55149[/snapback]

What you want is a Rencol tolerance ring..... You will need to machine the housing oversize, but the tolerance ring should maintain its grip as the thing heats up. Make sure you get the right stiffness ring. They can advise.

Rencol Application Enquiry

I think this would be a complete solution as it gets away from the problem of housing expansion, and removes the need for loctite of any kind.

Guest aironepony
What you want is a Rencol tolerance ring..... You will need to machine the housing oversize, but the tolerance ring should maintain its grip as the thing heats up. Make sure you get the right stiffness ring. They can advise.

55157[/snapback]

Very many thanks. I was completely ignorant of this option.

More will be revealed when I have removed the engine and split the crankcase halves. I'm not in a rush to wield the spanners, I'll put some more miles on the others................ :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aironepony
Very many thanks. I was completely ignorant of this option.

More will be revealed when I have removed the engine and split the crankcase halves. I'm not in a rush to wield the spanners, I'll put some more miles on the others................ :thumbsup:

55165[/snapback]

Hooray! something good. The bearing housing was not damaged and the bearing has been re-fitted using Loctite 648 and a bit of peening around the housing as per the original "Luigi" procedure.

It's now in one piece again and back in the frame. Should be OK for another 70 years....................... :thumbsup:

I went to a Guzzi rally this weekend (Iowa Rally) and there were two very nice 500's there. One was a pristine restoration of a roughy '50s model (just perfect in every way) and another was a '33 500. Exposed valve springs and everything. Ran good too- pop pop pop. Neato.

Guest aironepony

The sun shines, the birds sing, the cattle graze peacefully in the meadow..and the 500S runs beautifully again.............. :thumbsup:

post-1243-1121150633_thumb.jpg