critical guzzi failure

bento

last weekend my oil light started to flicker. i checked the oil and rolled around my block. my first thought was the sending unit going bad since the light would go out with a few rpm. then the light stayed on, and my bike started making noise like keys in the motor.

it turns out the bearing on the bottom of the #1 crank arm had failed. failed and disintigrated. my dealer can not get a response from the u.s. rep. and i have a bike that's sitting in the shop waiting to cost me what 2, 3 grand? how much is a total rebuild?

and i'm just months out of warrentee.

i think i'm going to buy the kawi 650 dual purpose next. i hear you can't kill those either...oh wait... :(

Guest Nogbad

Sorry to hear that.

Did they tell you what might have caused the problem? Like what caused the loss of oil pressure?

the guys at the shop think it started loosing pressure due to that bearing failure. the oil was just gushing out of the crank i guess.

i'll have to look up that mph shop. do they have a site?

As a backup, and I rather hope that MG USA comes through on this, reboot guzzi spares just posted a classified for a V11 to be parted out.

BTW, the Kaw is a hoot to ride, but not unbreakable. I augered mine into a sand dune the other day and just about wasted the radiator. Also, the idler spring needs to be replaced as soon as you buy one. But other than that.... they're pretty good bikes as far as I can tell.

My '03 V11 Sport Naked bike had a connecting rod bearing failure going into the 2000 mile mark. Sent the bike to MPH and they did a superb job of getting it sorted out completely. Other warranty work included fork seal repair and bearings in the rear wheel. Bike runs great now.

Thanks to all at MPH in Houston!!!

Wick

My brother's KLR had a water pump impeller come loose!!!, and it met an instant tragic end by superheating itself.

Nothing is perfect, not even Japan Inc. If it's tough you want, get an old airhead. The brothers gs has 160,000kms, canes the thing everywhere [i guess you sort of have to cause they are kind of gutless] with no issues at all.

Want to stick to Italian tough? Real tough? one word, Laverda. Moto Guzzi engines are extremely tough[ that's why I have one], but Laverda's will run until the next ice age.

Ciao, Steve G.

well the guys up at grand rapids guzzi were there tinkering on my bike over the 4th!!

there may be a scratch on the crank, we don't know if it needs buffing, or turning, or is ok.