Battery light

richard100t

My battery light comes on dimly after startup at idle speed. I notice at night that it flickers occasionally at low rpms. Is this just a battery light, or could it mean something else? My battery is the original factory battery but the bike starts easily. When it was cold out this winter I needed to trickle charge it sometimes but never once since its warmed up. Is the light for other things like the charging system?

I thought this alternator was a little higher output than previous ones, but on earlier Guzzi's, if you weren't running above 2K rpm, there wasn't enough output to charge. My initial guess would be that there is some oxidation built up on either the three connections at the alternator, a ground wire, or at the voltage regulator.

If the light goes out at higher rpm, it's not an immediate crisis. It's almost certainly not your battery.

Do you know what your idle speed is? Should be 1100 RPM +/-50. I find my idle speed to fluctuate a little depending on how hard I've been flogging it.

55593[/snapback]

Its probably right around there, maybe a little higher sometimes