trans leak...

badmotogoozer

Well, lots of Guzzi leaks lately... my turn now. 5K kms after transmission rebuild (I got priority on the rebuild because of this problem!) and she is weeping from the transmission seal again. And just a few months off warranty. I doubt crying at the dealer will get me anywhere - I'm still waiting for the warranty replacements for side covers that broke the day I bought it...

With any luck it will only weep until the season is over and I can pull it over the winter.

I love this bike but I was hoping it would be at least slightly more reliable than my 1970 Triumph! I like wrenching but dammit, that's what the Triumph is for...

:bbblll:

A Transmission leak thread. I'll jump on that! My '03 Lemans developed a leak from the rear of the transmission at around 3,000 miles. The dealer (Myers in Asheville, a very good dealer) says it is a seal problem that they have seen before, especially on bikes with the textured black paint. Apparently the crinkle paint causes the seal to lose integrity. The tranny must be dropped out of the bike in order to fix the seal. The dealer said they will fix the problem UNDER WARRANTY at the 6,000 mile check up, which is very soon.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Had the fix done?

Joe

Mine leaked after the recall.

I just spent three weeks fixing it(I am very slow and was waiting for a shock spring)

But the leak is not completely fixed... :(

First I pulled the side cover off, checked the innards because it was not shifting properly, now it is better after adjusting the screw)

Cleaned the case exterior.

Resealed the side cover.

Retorqued the rear case with rear wheel off for better access.

Re-filled with Red line shock proof light.

Let sit over night....

Drat! it leaked!, but now I could pin point that it was leaking from the left side of the inner case.

I then pulled the rear case off (no need to pull gearbox, but I did have to pull the swing arm, which needed a good lubing anyway.)

Once the rear case was off, I chickened out on pulling the inner-case, but I discovered a few of the bolts needed torquing. Especially the ones near the leak.

So, I torqued them tight, re-sealed the rear case.

Filled with oil.

Let sit over night...

And it still leaked, but five to ten times less.

Redline heavy weight will be used if the leak proves to be bad.

So, you might not need to pull the gearbox.

I don't know if I would have to pull it to get to the inner case.

Does anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't feel bad Ryan. Virtually all my bikes weep some kind of fluid. The Norton is different, it just sweats it right through the pores in the castings. The only one that is drip free, and the one with the most mileage by far, my Laverda 1000, bone dry, even after switching to full synthetic. I guess those 3/8" [10mm] gasket surfaces are there for a reason.

Ciao, Steve G.