First Impressions

Dr Gil

Ok…I’ve now owned an ‘02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans for…err, let me stop and count ‘em…4 days and riding it for a total of about 150 miles or so. I’ve been getting some serious pressure to write up my impressions so here they are...so far:

1/ First and foremost this IS the machine I signed up for and I continue to be TOTALLY excited by it. :mg:

2/ Wow, that’s a lot of vibration :o

3/ Wow, that’s a huge amount of noise (carbon fiber exhausts) :o

4/ Geeze, it’s lucky I like vibration and noise! :thumbsup:

5/ Although there is a lot of sound I’m used to more power (coming from a Triumph 900 Triple) being associated with it. Still, the bike will go faster than I’m willing to go so the point is moot. ;)

6/ Hey, what’s with this funky cornering? Brother-in-Law (and long time Guzzi-nista), Daniel Kalal tells me that the Le Mans is more of a Mike Hailwood “round, smooth corner” sorta thing than a modern sports bike (what I’m more used to) “squared off corner” bike. Amazingly this visualization makes total sense to me and am currently but not yet totally successfully adjusting my riding style to suit the bike and find I’m loving it…once again I find myself to be old school. This is NOT a choice I’ve made freely but am coming to accept (sigh, I’m just becoming an old-guy and still trying to come to grips with the fact that I belong in the last century). :unsure:

7/ Torque, thy name is god :D

8/ I like torque more than speed/horsepower/my dogs/pie/etc. :huh2:

9/ I suspect I need a new seat (got it…call Rich Maud)

10/ I need Throttlemeister bar ends (already ordered…“standard” version, hope they are “heavy” enough)

Going beyond my “Top 10” I find I REALLY like this bike beyond what is reasonable. I’ve only recently returned to riding (5 or 6 years ago). And in that period I have progressed from cruisers (Honda Magna V65) to sport bikes (the ’98 Triumph Sprint Sport and Suzuki SV650S) and now to the Guzzi Le Mans. Each has had its own riding style and every time I change bikes I feel like I’m learning to ride all over again. The Le Mans is yet another step for me and perhaps what has been my ultimate fate all this time. :notworthy:

My most immediate concern about owning the Le Mans is my lack of physical support I have while living in a rural area and having only “moderate” wrenching skills. I have been taken aback several times now with what seems to me to be somewhat open hostility about my choice of motorcycles. I’ve taken heat from both my old independent Triumph mechanic (“I know this is none of my business but…failing company, no local support, blah, blah, blah, etc.” to which I had to respond “you’re right this is none of your business”) to my local motorcycle dealership, whom I was hoping would help me deal with the those things basic to ALL motorcycles. OK, I am seriously talking rural here, they only carry Japanese bikes but am friendly with the people who work there and they gave me the “Wha? Have you lost your mind buying a Moto Guzzi? You’ve gone from bad (Triumph)to worse (Guzzi)” thing and “No, we are NOT willing to deal with your Italian bike on ANY level”. This does worry me some…I’m enough of a realist to understand that at some point something catastrophic WILL happen to my bike at which point I WILL freak out and I’m afraid I’m left with my own limited knowledge and no local support. My only other option is my “local” dealership” 250 miles away in Santa Rosa and I’m not totally sure I trust them. Beyond that it’s off to Munroe Motors (a very cool shop that I like a bunch) 300 miles away in San Francisco. So, bottom line, I am counting on you guys a lot as my safety net. So far I’m dazzled/delighted at the camaraderie and support within Guzzi owners. I’ve never encountered anything like it and it gives joy and some peace of mind. I like this bike enough to deal with the uncertainty and the freaking out.

I totally love this bike. :wub: There is no doubt in my mind that this is what I want and the direction I want to go with my motorcycling. I do realize that I am getting older and my sense of “I want to have it now or perhaps will never have it” grows more with each passing season. Ultimatly I want to feel I’m riding a “machine” and not some sort of “techno rocket ship.”

Ok here's the bottom line; I’m sold on the Moto Guzzi and I WILL PERSEVERE…but I need your help. So please be tolorant, be kind and be patient. We have a newbie onboard.

redwood-guzzi1.jpg

Dottore,

I'm glad most of the observations are positive. Your brother in law is wise regarding the riding style. Maybe a set of Pirelli Diablos might give it a quicker turn in (from what I've heard).

Vibration? Whut vibration? :D I realize everyone has different comfort levels. I never even notice the vibration and I've left my bike stock. Hands don't go numb or nuthin.

Regarding living in a remote location...ya never know. You may have one of the bikes built on Tuesday morning when Guido was in a reasonably coherent state of mind :D Since your bike had a previous owner, with some luck, he may have ironed out all of the kinks for you :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike :mg:

Guest ratchethack

Doc, I congratulate you! I reckon we're about the same age. Like you, I've owned many prior bikes, but went thru "re-entry" 3 yrs ago after a 15-year absence (abstinence?) from riding by way of a dual-sport thumper (which I still ride and enjoy a great deal also) that brought me to ownership of my '00 Guzzi Sport. These bikes aren't for everyone. But if you're anything like me, and by your post it seems that you've had an interesting and valuable recent progresssion of ownership of other marques, finally selecting what is (to us relatively few who know them well) among the best possible machines available to you.

May I suggest that by your observations, your current "honeymoon stage" will more'n likely NOT FADE AWAY - rather it will mellow into surprisingly renewable enjoyment without end - very possibly increasing in power and enthusiasm as the years roll on. At least in my experience, this ain't no short-term thing, my friend.

Reasonable? Ha! Not hardly - what true passion in life is?! But practical - actually YES - and very justifiably so in terms of dollar-per mile! Like you & me, and many Guys of our vintage -_- , these are modern-day anachronisms. Quirky Classics - but absolutely without peer. No motorcycle will EVER be made this way again, and not anything close. They will be increasingly sought after by knowledgeable collectors decades from now and beyond. You may consider yourself uniquely blessed, one of the trade-offs being little curses attendant to minor-level faults that you'll soon learn to just laugh off because you've easily mastered them. You've already discovered the incredibly stable handling - "Mr. Smooth", Mike Hailwood technique definitely applies! (But how many out there are old enough to even remember those days...) It sure ain't no krotch rocket 600, but you ain't no pseudo-knee-dragging Squid, either. In time - should you be skilled and so inclined - you could very well be outriding most of 'em.

You've got a pretty darn good support resource in your bro-in-law & long-term Guzzisti Dan Kalal. Don't let the bastards who "just don't get it" (and probably never will) get you down. Take your time and learn how to become your own practical engineer. These bikes are easy to work on - and in what I've found to be a more rewarding way than with most other bikes, you can actually come to enjoy this aspect of ownership very much, too.

Enjoy the ride and welcome to the fold! :thumbsup:

Welcome Doc :thumbsup:

hey,...these bikes are easy to work on, don't freak,...they are basic, all the

hi tec stuff developed for the new sport bike don't apply...if you can fix a lawnmower you can fix your bike, now...the local guzzi dealer (duc and aprilia

also) is terrible, they're running a boutique not a bike shop...so after my fallout

i talked to my buddies who race gixxer's at cmra, also a 998 (which got wrecked so bad it's still not back at a 100%)

...well, Keith the mechanic have never seen a Guzzi before, the dude could figure everything out within an afternoon, (can't say that for his friends Montauk beemer), so screw the dealer i service my guzzi at Team Anvil's garage...

don't need to make an appointment, i don't need to freak out about mark ups,...they set up my suspension, we go to do trackdays also...(weekends bef. the races) and so on,

it helps that i knew the guys before, of course...so, to make a long story short,

if something goes wrong it can be figured out and fixed, just like that...any mechanic can figure your bike out,...

so far nothing has gone wrong with mine, nothing.. and i give it hell (in a nice way of course) :grin:

just relax and enjoy (remember, if you pamper this bikes, they break down) :lol:

Ok…I’ve now owned an ‘02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans for…err, let me stop and..........

2/  Wow, that’s a lot of vibration  :o

3/  Wow, that’s a huge amount of noise (carbon fiber exhausts)  :o

9/  I suspect I need a new seat (got it…call Rich Maud)

10/  I need Throttlemeister bar ends (already ordered…“standard” version, hope they are “heavy” enough)

My most immediate concern about owning the Le Mans is my lack of physical support I have while living in a rural area and having only “moderate” wrenching skills. 

Ain't life grand?

Let's see if I can offer something here:

# 2 & # 10: I went for the Heavy Throttlemeisters, I've never looked back. You might considering calling them & changing the order.

# 3: It's Italian opera to the fullest.

# 9: If you call Rich, make sure you have some time, as he's a wealth of information on a variety of subjects.....

"Moderate" wrenching skills? You'll be fine. They really are simple machines. And you have the resources of this board and the Guzzi community behind you.

Phil

Atlanta GA

'02 M-G Le Mans

As far as vibration goes- how many miles do you have on the machine? They really start to mellow out as they wear in- but that doesn't happen until ~5000 miles. By 10,000 it should be pretty smooth, but there will always be some vibration. Break-in is excruciatingly slow, but worth it. Kind of like a good leather shoe. In the meantime, synching up the throttle bodies makes an enormous difference and it's very easy to do. It requires a vacuum gauge (I use a Twinmax 'cause it's easy and no mercury to fool with). The adjustment itself takes 10 minutes. Valve lash also makes a difference. Remember, for Guzzi, a tappy valve is a happy valve.

For exhaust noise, my guess is that you'll have to change out the pipes. Do you have the original equipment?

And for cornering- yes, the Guzzi loves sweepers. You'll be changing your style before you know it.

For physical support- it's not really necessary as long as you are willing to do some light maintenance. I've ridden Guzzi for over 20 years, and for the last 5 is the ONLY time I've had a mechanic that I can call local. People here on this forum are very knowledgable and there are even a few real mechanics and parts people. Someone should be able to walk you through a procedure. The real keys to working on bikes are patience and not getting frustrated.

Enjoy,

J

Awww, I can feel the love here! :wub:

I just got an email from a Guzzi owner who swears he will never own ANYTHING Italian again! He owns an '03 and it has apparently done him wrong. He ranted about living in the sticks and owning a Guzzi. He played to my most basic fears. I was shaken...but not stirred.

I, however am hooked. Every day more I ride this bike I love it more and more (and this is just the beginning). The Le Mans IS what I was looking for in a motorcycle and there is no looking back. If it takes an expert mechanic to ride one then that is what I'll become! :luigi:

However, I don't think this is really the case here and thank you all for giving me a VERY positive "there, there, it will be alright Gil" feeling. It does help.

I'm glad I own a Guzzi and I'm glad to be here. :bike:

Guest putt-meister

Hey Doc,

I have been riding a long time and I think you made a good choice. The Santa Rosa dealer is a good guy, but I would like to make another offer. Over the years I have taught many folks how to do their own maintenance and would like to extend the offer to you. So if you are prepared to ride to Santa Rosa you have two options - a good dealer or do-it-yourself with help.

Have fun and just enjoy the bike and ignore all of those people who don't know any better. :race:

2/ Wow, that’s a lot of vibration :o

coming from a Califorina II: vibrations? :lol:

3/ Wow, that’s a huge amount of noise (carbon fiber exhausts) :o

coming from a Califorina II: noise? :lol:

4/ Geeze, it’s lucky I like vibration and noise! :thumbsup:

10/ I need Throttlemeister bar ends (already ordered…“standard” version, hope they are “heavy” enough)

the California II has been patented as a machine that produces good vibrations, therapeutic for all the diseases of the body and soul

The Le Mans is a good bike, smooth, generous, solid.

Good choice. Cheers :bier:

I spent a few hours tooling around on a 2002 Lemans today while they serviced the 1100 sport. It had 1600kms on the clock so the motor was pretty tight didn't think the vibration was an issue thought it was pretty minumal to say the least. Felt a bit slow to steer compared tot he sport think that might be down to the steering dampener is still fitted and the 180 section rear tyre which on a bike with the output of a guzzi is just a victim of fashion. I think it would be more confortable with lower clip ons but thats my opion seat was pretty good. Overall is was a lot more refined than the sport athough I missed the mongrel factor that my bike has. My bike also stomped on it in the department of spin up speed and engine response 93 000kms will do that for a Guzzi motor.

Guest Bruce

Hey Doc, welcome to the forum, you seem like the kind of rider who knows what they want and thinks for themselves. As has been stated the bikes are easy to work on with alot of the routine service stuff available from the local Auto Parts Dept and there are also some excellent on-line soruces for Quzzi specific stuff. Also, I've had very good luck appling the on-line expertise here within.

Jason's post on vibration covers that nicely and there is also alot of good info about the effects of tires and suspension set up on handling. If you like to tinker and fiddle a bit you can shape your bike into a very sensual machine while maintain the viseral nature of riding a motorcycle that we all enjoy and the process can be as satisfing as the end product.

Best of luck.

Bruce

PS whats with this 'old' shit?