moto lust

richard100t

Oh yeah, the Daytona is quite a bit faster than the Lemans. It is also much more of a pure racing machine, not nearly as well finished off as the Lemans. The first time I road a Daytona I cut my hand on the fiberglass fairing!

You will also notice that the seat, foot peg, handgrip relationship is track oriented. I found the Daytona to have a distinct lack of leg room, so it probably isn't an everyday ride. But man-oh-man, WHAT A BIKE! Beautiful, distinctive and highly collectable.

Joe

I'm short "5'8" so the riding position would be fine. I think I'll have to go back to my old issues of Motorcyclist & see if I can find it in the hard numbers section at the end of the mag. Like I said I probably cant get this particular one, but I think I will have one.

I think I'll have to go back to my old issues of Motorcyclist & see if I can find it in the hard numbers section at the end of the mag.

Here's the summary for a match-up between the Ducati 888 and the Daytona 1000 from the July 1993 issue of Cycle World.

Keep in mind when looking at the numbers that the mods done for the A-kit along with the replacement FI chip (which the ebay motorcycle has) are both very effective performance improvements over the stock machine.

ducati888_vs_daytona.jpg

Sounds very close in performance to the Lemans to me. I think the Rosso Corsa even did the 1/4 mile a little faster in the Motorcyclist test. However with the Termignoni exhaust & the upgrade chip I'm sure the Ebay bike is a little faster. As with all :mg: bikes its more a style & design preference anyway. It doesnt cost much money to go fast anymore, as long as you dont mind a Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha bike. I do like the new Yamaha R1 though for style & design, I have to give them credit they made it look really good.

Wow that Daytona must be collectable! Its already over $7000 with several days to go. I can only hope my Rosso Mandello is that collectable if I ever want to sell it. Maybe my thread here generated interest in the bike? :D Its out of my price range now but thats ok theres always next year. Hmm I should go buy a lottery ticket lol

The 93 daytona is the same motor as the centuaro In stock form it is not a significant upgrade over the V11/1100 sport. The engine runs a bit smoother spins up a bit quicker and produces slightly lower torque. The Front ends on the early daytona's were also pretty basic yes you can get a lot of HP out of them if you throw enough money at them.

However if you really want a collectors item you should find a Daytona Racing these had the Factory C kit which included cams carillio rods pistons etc etc. These are a significant step forward on the 1100 two valver supposedly they only made 100 of these bikes and had the 320mm front discs (as opposed to the 300mm on the daytona) and the latter Marzochi forks that were used on the 1100 sports. These were numbered I even know where number 1 is :P .

Slightly less exculsive but all round a better machine is the Daytona RS same body work as the 1100 sports with the upsidedown WP forks Marchesini wheels C kit motor depending on who you listen to 2-300 bikes made. Stay away from the US versions as they didn't get the C kit motor.

Somewhere, sequestered on my hard disk, I have a comparison of a Sport 1100i (or was it a Daytona - gotta find the article) with a Ducati 900SS and the Guzzi just barely nudged out the duck for better bike.

It is a good bike.

Only trouble is the rear wheel without drive shaft.

This is a little bad for the gearbox.

Otherwise it is near a centauro for engine with a like sport carb gearbox set.

I just bought one in Italy i m going to pick up in September to replace stolen daytona rs.

So it raise the number of guzzi standing in the garage