Enzo Replica Cobras Phase IV

Enzo

Guest MikeC

Enzo...Beautiful bike. How do you handle the mapping. Do you take it to the dyno each time or do you just play with the map yourself.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks. I like the looks of my bike, but sometimes when I see a lime green V11 like yours in stock trim, I feel like I've committed a crime.

I had a map made with my last pipe which was not much different. I've made so many pipes and tweaked with the Power Commander so much that I sort of take a stab at it and then check the plugs to see how they look. If the bike seems to be starting well, running strong and leaving no grime on the plugs, I feel that it is good enough.

I might have a dyno done again to fine tune it. But, I've recently purchased a Honda RC51, so the Guzz might have to wait it's turn.

"My philosophy, Marty, is to have a good time all the time."

Me and my Guzzi

Ooohh, how sweet. I like also the flower on the thread.

I have now a new avatar, otherwise I will use this flower thing, of course, with your permission Enzo... :notworthy:

About the crime, I thing the first crime to you Enzo is buying a V11 :helmet:

But I will be more tollerant to you, because you mostly use Italian color and not German ;):whistle:

Regarding the rear brake:

It is debatable whether brake lever clearance is relevant to brake seizure.

Other potential culprits are the brake line over the mufflers, but this is not your bikes problem( Love them Cobras), sticking pistons, too much water in the fluid (you are in Seattle), or bad wheel bearings.

My money is on the sticking pistons, but it may be impossible to determine after it locked up...

Actually I still think the master cylinder had a very slight pressure on it from a bad linkage set-up. I think that because I wanted the brake pedal up as high as possible and I even got a different 6mm threaded rod which I cut and fit inside the boot. It is about half an inch longer than the stock one. I believe this was putting some pressure on the master cylinder - just enough to build up that heat. After I loosened it by the side of the road and let the bike cool off, I had no further problems the rest of the day.

That is a bad bad feeling when it happens in the fast lane.

Antonio: I love Italy; I love Guzzis and I love Valentino Rossi! Viva Italia!

Guest MikeC
Mike,

Thanks.  I like the looks of my bike, but sometimes when I see a lime green V11 like yours in stock trim, I feel like I've committed a crime.

I had a map made with my last pipe which was not much different.  I've made so many pipes and tweaked with the Power Commander so much that I sort of take a stab at it and then check the plugs to see how they look.  If the bike seems to be starting well, running strong and leaving no grime on the plugs, I feel that it is good enough.

I might have a dyno done again to fine tune it.  But, I've recently purchased a Honda RC51, so the Guzz might have to wait it's turn.

57418[/snapback]

Enzo,

I love the stock green also.

Do you have the surging between 4K and 5K or did you find your pipes and maps eliminated it.

I have the FBF kit, mistrals and stock X-Over with a USB Power Commander. I know I should have a custom map done but I'm still trying to sort it myself if it's possible.

Maybe I should get the Stucci X-Over.

BTW...Keep the V11. I have ridden the Honda RC51 and it's one hell of a bike but I find they make for a better track bike than street.

Mike

Mike, the other guys here could tell you much more about maps and crossovers and such. I'm WAY beyond that with this bike. No, it doesn't have any of the usual dips or surges or anything else you would recognize from stock trim. Guzzis really like to be opened up exhaust-wise, and they seem to like the two-into-one idea. The down side is that this will of course be louder. The upside is much better acceleration where you want it.

Actually I still think the master cylinder had a very slight pressure on it from a bad linkage set-up.  I think that because I wanted the brake pedal up as high as possible and I even got a different 6mm threaded rod which I cut and fit inside the boot.  It is about half an inch longer than the stock one.  I believe this was putting some pressure on the master cylinder - just enough to build up that heat.  After I loosened it by the side of the road and let the bike cool off, I had no further problems the rest of the day.

That is a bad bad feeling when it happens in the fast lane.

Antonio:  I love Italy; I love Guzzis and I love Valentino Rossi!  Viva Italia!

57432[/snapback]

Ya know you are not supposed to do that. :grin:

Be safe in the fast lane!

Be sure to give the rear brake system a full checkup.

The Guzzi Universe would not be the same without you. :(

Enzo:

1st let me say how relieved I am to hear that you came thru that brake-lockup episode unscathed! Rubber side down & all that, my friend! :)

Bike's lookin' sharp, altho' the black/chrome transition on the exhaust looks a leetle funky [personal call, jmnsho! ;) ]

WRT the RC51: I know that people are giving you grief about selling the Goose to offset the purchase of the newer bike, & all I can tell you is hearsay from other RC51 owners:

1] IIRC, you're built on the compact scale of things, so the cramped quarters of the RC51 [for someone my size] should be a non-issue.

2] The RC51 is described as being hot to ride, ie: you don't want to be stuck in traffic on it. Is this going to be a commuter tool? The only successful "daily rider" I've known had about a 5 mile commute to work [ie: it's almost as fast to ride a bicycle to & fro], & canyon-strafed with it every weekend. In that scenario, it's great.

3] It ain't built for comfort, it's built for speed. You won't want to be putting on any 500mi days with the RC51.

4] It's a thirsty MF; this has range implications as well as cost of ownership issues.

5] For all of the above, you may want to keep the Guzzi for the softer-edged, out-for-fun riding you'll do. Or not: maybe having the RC51 for the canyon runs and a big trailie like the KLR650 for adventure touring is more your speed? I dunno; you have to make that decision.

Whatever you decide to do regarding your bikes, can you post a complete Cobra Replica chronicles up on the RC website or here? Links to pics in old threads here are no longer working since rebuilds of the Rolling Crow website, and the overall story of your efforts to come up with a superior exhaust system [which is interestingly echoed by Guzzi's own latest offering, the Griso] is worthy of recording for future generations of Guzzisti.

Thanks!

Ride on,

:bike:

Skeeve,

Nice. And thanks.

To answer some questions:

I am NOT going to use the RC as a commuter. I understand it IS hot and the first gear is very tall - GP racing gearing. This is considered GREAT in the corners, however, as you can just stay put in second gear.

I haven't decided to sell the Guzz. I may keep it. It is GREAT FUN and STRANGELY fast for a Guzzi. The only think I don't like about Guzzis are the clunky, heavy wheels and suspension. Plus, because I have very good power to the ground, the torque effects from the shaft are more pronounced. I have always felt a lot of unsettling chassis gyrations with a Guzzi which I have lived with, but I am ready for a more stable racing platform.

Because I am rather short, 5-10, I don't think the ergos are going to kill me or be THAT different from what I am used to. If I find the seat to be a problem, I will have it filled with gel. That will be the ONLY modification I will make with this bike. I want to keep this one ALL STOCK. One of the reasons is because I want a more quiet bike to dice it up in some coastal residential areas without attracting cop attention and making people angry. The V11 is VERY mean sounding and it gets everyone riled-up.

I DO intend on comparing the two bikes and doing a sort of daily BLOG of my experience with running both a V11 Sport and an RC 51. I will do this from my Crow site and put up a whole new area. I will call it, the 'Enzo Chronicles - Guzzi vs. Honda.'