My New Bike...Crash!

Dr Gil

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... gosh, everytime someone wrecks on the Forum, I miss the thread for days before responding :unsure:

But goodness Gil, I am so sorry to hear about your accident, but am relieved to hear that you are OK.

I know this must be very disappointing for you given the journey you went through to get this bike :(

Hopefully the core of the bike is fine, and things like plastics, valve covers, etc... can all be replaced economically via eBay or places like www.rebootguzzispares.com

I have to keep this brief as I am in mid-move to NC and was just checking-in quickly, but one note on the tank.

Look at this as an opportunity if the original tank is toast. Go out and find a salvage 03+ tank with the in-tank pump/filter, as this is a more reliable system that eliminates the vapor-lock scenario, is lighter and less complicated, and IMHO looks better.

Do a search for "retrofit" in the title and check out my "2003 tank retrofit" thread for more details.

Well, again, my heart goes out to you, and once I am settled in NC in the coming weeks, feel free to drop me a line for any tips or just moral support.

Good luck!

al

Guest Rockdoc

Greetings All:

Good forum topic. As I too suffered a highside crash May 12th this summer I am, as well, looking for advice and tips to "resto" my 2002 LeMans.

Happy to report all 6 ribs, collar bone, shoulder, and 3 spinal compressions are pretty much healed and I am finally getting to work on my machine. My repair shop here in Calgary Canada, Revoluzione, {Ducati}, assure me my frame was not damaged. I will trailer her home and start repairs next week. Looks like a new fairing can be purchased as well as "bits n pieces" from Moto Guzzi. I have a Guzzi dealer in Calgary but they are not well versed in Guzzi repairs but seem to at least be a good parts source. Sorry to hear of your pain "Doc", I REALLY CAN RELATE!. At least we live to ride again. In my case, a rear tire rapid deflate on a "sweeper" resulted in about 25 seconds of total kaos with a highside and, I think ?, the bike partially landing on yours truely at the end. Bike was thump thumping near me when I came around. I managed to turn her off and then don't remember much until coming around in Calgary Foothills Hospital with IV,s, Cat scans and days of prodding and poking. Left side went absolutley black from neck to knee. OUCH!. Worst pain was scooter only had 800+ Kms on it.

I will keep you guys posted as to progress. Again, thanks for tips on what to watch for. Rockdoc

Guest Rockdoc
Greetings All:

Good forum topic. As I too suffered a highside crash May 12th this summer I am, as well, looking for advice and tips to "resto" my 2002 LeMans.

Happy to report all 6 ribs, collar bone, shoulder, and 3 spinal compressions are pretty much healed and I am finally getting to work on my machine. My repair shop here in Calgary Canada, Revoluzione, {Ducati}, assure me my frame was not damaged. I will trailer her home and start repairs next week. Looks like a new fairing can be purchased as well as "bits n pieces" from Moto Guzzi. I have a Guzzi dealer in Calgary but they are not well versed in Guzzi repairs but seem to at least be a good parts source. Sorry to hear of your pain "Doc", I REALLY CAN RELATE!. At least we live to ride again. In my case, a rear tire rapid deflate on a "sweeper" resulted in about 25 seconds of total kaos with a highside and, I think ?,  the bike partially landing on yours truely at the end. Bike was thump thumping near me when I came around. I managed to turn her off and then don't remember much until coming around in Calgary Foothills Hospital with IV,s, Cat scans and days of prodding and poking. Left side went absolutley black from neck to knee. OUCH!. Worst pain was scooter only had 800+ Kms on it.

I will keep you guys posted as to progress. Again, thanks for tips on what to watch for. Rockdoc

58153[/snapback]

One more

Rocdoc,

Glad to hear you have healed also and are ready to get things back together.. Ouch!!

Just two quick questions; What do you think caused the tire to deflate?? Valve stem failure? Road hazard? A ong sweeper at speed it not a good time (if there is ever a good time) to have a rear tire go out..

Did they total the bike? Several grand in plastics and fairing cage damage alone, not to mention what we can't see in pitures; pegs, cans etc..

Guest Rockdoc
Rocdoc,

Glad to hear you have healed also and are ready to get things back together.. Ouch!!

Just two quick questions; What do you think caused the tire to deflate??  Valve stem failure? Road hazard?  A ong sweeper at speed it not a good time (if there is ever a good time) to have a rear tire go out..

Did they total the bike?  Several grand in plastics and fairing cage damage alone,  not to mention what we can't see in pitures; pegs, cans etc..

58158[/snapback]

Greetings Edge:

Bike was not "written off", {as yet}. Rear wheel was taken for inspection but nothing back on it so far. A slight scratch on left rear seat pan through LeMans decal. One Tek side bag crushed/destroyed. Left exhaust slightly bent in towards frame. No damage to pipes. Front end, where I think it first touched down, well pictures show. Steering damper seems to be stuck, {cannot turn set knob}. And of course one gauge, and perhaps left "clip on". Pegs don't have a mark on em.