universal cafe fairing

bigbikerrick

Have any of you folks seen the universal cafe fairing sold by Lockhart phillips racing? It seems that it would fit on our v 11 's and look pretty cool, and golly, its only $50. ! check it out on their website , tell me what you think, its part # 107-445. I tried to post a link but im so" computer lame" I wasnt succesful. if you look on the LP racing USA website and do a search for fairings, down near the bottom of the list its termed " universal cafe fairing"

I've seen them on various bikes- yes they will fit. The plastic is kind of thin, though. This is one of those 'get what you pay for' fairings. Still, for 50 bucks, it might be worth playing with.

I've seen them on various bikes- yes they will fit.  The plastic is kind of thin, though.  This is one of those 'get what you pay for' fairings.  Still, for 50 bucks, it might be worth playing with.

58148[/snapback]

Im tempted to order one, Im glad you say they will fit a v11. I was concerned if the windshield would clear the gauges. I mean for 50 bux....... Its worth the risk! LOL.

Have any of you folks seen the universal cafe fairing sold by Lockhart phillips racing? It seems that it would fit on our v 11 's and look pretty cool, and golly, its only $50. !  check it out on their website , tell me what you think, its part # 107-445. I tried to post a link but im so" computer lame" I wasnt succesful. if you look on the LP racing USA website and do a search for fairings, down near the bottom of the list its termed " universal cafe fairing"

58140[/snapback]

Are you referring to this one.

V11_5_26_05_b.jpg

If so the fit around the light is not perfect, it must be set back to clear the controls. It also requires a fabricated bracket on each end to attach to the handlebar to keep it from vibrating. This fairing was painted to match. I like it, gives the bike a cafe look.

Have any of you folks seen the universal cafe fairing sold by Lockhart phillips racing? It seems that it would fit on our v 11 's and look pretty cool, and golly, its only $50. !  check it out on their website , tell me what you think, its part # 107-445. I tried to post a link but im so" computer lame" I wasnt succesful. if you look on the LP racing USA website and do a search for fairings, down near the bottom of the list its termed " universal cafe fairing"

58140[/snapback]

You mean the knockoff of the 1980 R90S bikini fairing?

JC Witless

BTW, the LockhartPhillips site no workee, so I'm not surprised that you couldn't manage to paste a link! It must suck to pay somebody to make you a fancy, glitzy website & then discover that their javascripting left something to be desired! :D

Back to the bikini: cutting a notch in either side for the turn signal stalks is a PITA, but doable. Probably easier, now that Dremel-type tools are cheap. The real hangup is that they come with no mounting gear, so you've got to work up your own mounts. They do wonders for dressing up a naked bike & making it more rideable, since you can tuck down into the blast shadow for long highway runs.

Ride on!

:mg:

You mean the knockoff of the 1980 R90S bikini fairing?

JC Witless

BTW, the LockhartPhillips site no workee, so I'm not surprised that you couldn't manage to paste a link! It must suck to pay somebody to make you a fancy, glitzy website & then discover that their javascripting left something to be desired!  :D

Back to the bikini: cutting a notch in either side for the turn signal stalks is a PITA, but doable. Probably easier, now that Dremel-type tools are cheap. The real hangup is that they come with no mounting gear, so you've got to work up your own mounts. They do wonders for dressing up a naked bike & making it more rideable, since you can tuck down into the blast shadow for long highway runs.

Ride on!

58163[/snapback]

Yes Skeeve, that looks like the same fairing that LP racing sells, they specify "universal mounting hardware" but im sure some fabrication is needed for our bikes. In the pic. a member posted on the green bike, it seems the fit around the light leaves a gap, I think I will save up for a MG carbon fiber fairing instead .

V11_5_26_05_b.jpg

If so the fit around the light is not perfect, it must be set back to clear the controls.  It also requires a fabricated bracket on each end to attach to the handlebar to keep it from vibrating.  This fairing was painted to match.  I like it, gives the bike a cafe look.

58151[/snapback]

Mike, will that fairing work with the stock mirrors, or are bar end mirrors necessary? would you mind elaborating a little bit mor on the bracketry you had to fabricate? man, your bike looks sweet with it, totally retro/cafe! Ciao, Rick

Mike, will that fairing work with the stock mirrors, or are bar end mirrors necessary? would you mind elaborating a little bit mor on the bracketry you had to fabricate? man, your bike looks sweet with it, totally retro/cafe! Ciao, Rick

58196[/snapback]

Thanks. I like the look also.

Stock mirrors will work but the bar-end mirrors completes the cafe look.

The brackets are easy any piece of thin Al. or SS that can be easily bent will work, needs to be about 3/4" wide and a few inches long. I attached it from the last screw on the fairing that bolts the shield on, to the bracket that supports the clutch and brake fluid reserviors. Without the end supports it vibrates way to much.

You will also need to fabricate a bracket to attach to the headlight bolts which in-turn the fairing itself bolts onto. That is no big deal either. Stiff metal about 1" wide and a few inches long will work. No rocket science here, pretty straight forward. I'll see about taking some pictures of the brackets. If they come out OK I'll post them.

Mike

Yes Skeeve, that looks like the same fairing that LP racing sells, they specify "universal mounting hardware" but im sure some fabrication is needed for our bikes. In the pic. a member posted on the green bike, it seems the fit around the light leaves a gap, I think I will save up for a MG carbon fiber fairing instead .

58173[/snapback]

The reason there's a gap is because he din't cut notches for the turn signal stalks. IIRC (it *has* been 20 odd years!), the R90s actually had the turn signals hanging off the fork stanchions, rather than sticking straight out the sides of the headlight like most (J-brand & others) naked bikes.

I fit one of the JCW models to my old Yellowhammer XSEleven, which required cutting a pair of slots into the sides of the fairing:

_

F /

R /

O /

N ___|

T /

\___

O |

F |

\

F \

A \

I

R

I

N

G

Get the idea? (I know; my ascii art has always been crude.)

Once the slots are there, the ring of the fairing rest exactly inside the chrome retainer ring on a standard 7" sealed beam motorcycle headlight shell. Actually looks quite spiff. Only drawback is the absurd amount of plastic shavings cutting out the slots generates, and the difficulty of getting the slots to match when done freehand. [Duh! Make a stencil next time! :wacko: - voice of experience, there! ;) ]

You might have guessed that I actually quite like the bikini/cafe faired classic bike look, & find that it fits quite well with the modern Guzzi nakeds. If I didn't already have a LM7 [heh; "V11 LeMans;" not quite a Roman numeral 7, but it kinda fits, leaving one only to wonder whatever became of the LM6... ;)], I'd be seriously looking at that option.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Ride on!

:bike:

The reason there's a gap is because he din't cut notches for the turn signal stalks. IIRC (it *has* been 20 odd years!), the R90s actually had the turn signals hanging off the fork stanchions, rather than sticking straight out the sides of the headlight like most (J-brand & others) naked bikes.

I fit one of the JCW models to my old Yellowhammer XSEleven, which required cutting a pair of slots into the sides of the fairing:

_

F                      /

R                      /

O                    /

N                ___|

T                /   

\___

O                    |

F                      |

\

F                        \

A                        \

IThank you sir you have convinced me im going to order one!

R

I

N

G               

Get the idea? (I know; my ascii art has always been crude.)

Once the slots are there, the ring of the fairing rest exactly inside the chrome retainer ring on a standard 7" sealed beam motorcycle headlight shell. Actually looks quite spiff. Only drawback is the absurd amount of plastic shavings cutting out the slots generates, and the difficulty of getting the slots to match when done freehand. [Duh! Make a stencil next time! :wacko: - voice of experience, there! ;) ]

You might have guessed that I actually quite like the bikini/cafe faired classic bike look, & find that it fits quite well with the modern Guzzi nakeds. If I didn't already have a LM7 [heh; "V11 LeMans;" not quite a Roman numeral 7, but it kinda fits, leaving one only to wonder whatever became of the LM6... ;)], I'd be seriously looking at that option.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Ride on!

:bike:

58223[/snapback]

Thank you sir, you've convinced me to get one...

58225[/snapback]

Glad to know my input was valued. Funny that on my own screen, the spaces in my ascii art were all deleted, but in your quoted text [your statement above was embedded in my own text quoted in your reply] it displayed correctly. Ain't 'puters fun? :wacko:

;)

Ride on!

V11_5_26_05_b.jpg

If so the fit around the light is not perfect, it must be set back to clear the controls.  It also requires a fabricated bracket on each end to attach to the handlebar to keep it from vibrating.  This fairing was painted to match.  I like it, gives the bike a cafe look.

58151[/snapback]

what part of the controls will it hit on if you set it back so it fits flush around the headlight?

Thanks.  I like the look also.

Stock mirrors will work but the bar-end mirrors completes the cafe look.

The brackets are easy any piece of thin Al. or SS that can be easily bent will work, needs to be about 3/4" wide and a few inches long.  I attached it from the last screw on the fairing that bolts the shield on, to the bracket that supports the clutch and brake fluid reserviors.  Without the end supports it vibrates way to much. 

You will also need to fabricate a bracket to attach to the headlight bolts which in-turn the fairing itself bolts onto.  That is no big deal either.  Stiff metal about 1" wide and a few inches long will work.  No rocket science here, pretty straight forward.  I'll see about taking some pictures of the brackets.  If they come out OK I'll post them.

Mike

58205[/snapback]

Mike, skeeve stated that the reason the cafe fairing doesnt fit flush around your headlight is because it needed slots cut in the sides for the turn signal stems, my question ... is that what it would hit on, or was it some other portion of the controls? Thanks alot, Rick.