v11 engine paint

george42

thinking of buying a 2003 v11, i know all early engines sufferd flaking,and paint was changed when new engine came out, this one is an earlier engine ,but had guzzi sorted this problem on late pre models.can you tell the difference by looking at paint texture and is it possible to prevent early paint from flaking off. thanks for any advice you can give.GEORGE

thinking of buying a 2003 v11, i  know all early engines sufferd flaking,and paint was changed when new engine came out, this one is an earlier engine ,but had guzzi sorted this problem on late pre models.can you tell the difference by looking at paint texture and is it possible to prevent early paint from flaking off. thanks for any advice you can give.GEORGE

58326[/snapback]

George, I think MG changed the engine paint on the 2003 models. Appearance of the old paint was flat and textured kinda like what we call "crinkle paint". The replacement used on 2003 and up models is satin and smooth (more or less). The earlier coating used thru 2002 was the problem one and tended to flake and come off in patches according to some on this forum. Far as I know, no one has come up with a way to keep the older engine coating from coming off.

Guest redguzziv10

i think TXrider is right, although my sport was first registered sept 03 and has the "crinkle" finish.

I checked with MG before buying, and they told me the paint was one of the new "sorted" type. So it looks like the line of crossover are somewhat blurred

Guest bshpilot
George, I think MG changed the engine paint on the 2003 models.  Appearance of the old paint was flat and textured kinda like what we call "crinkle paint".  The replacement used on 2003 and up models is satin and smooth (more or less).  The earlier coating used thru 2002 was the problem one and tended to flake and come off in patches according to some on this forum.  Far as I know, no one has come up with a way to keep the older engine coating from coming off.

58328[/snapback]

careful though...mine is an 03 by title (only year my color was offered)

and it had the bubblin' paint.

Yep. My '03 Lemans came with all the '03 goodies including upgraded forks, ITI instruments w/ black faces, front crossover pipe, fuel pump in tank w/ no pad, and the number 3 in the VIN where it should be. But also has CRINKLE PAINT on the engine, etc.

CAUTION: Guido at work!

Joe