2002 LeMans Instrument Cluster

Jim Malm

I posted this to the V11 24/7 Forum, but this group looks more appropriate for my question:

I just bought a used 2002 Lemans and have noticed that the instrument cluster is suspended such that the instruments really bounce around when you take moderate bumps in the road - they even seem to make clunking noises on rough pavement. Is that a normal condition? I've considered trying to buffer them with some fairly dense 0.25" foam I have available. Any comments and suggestions on this condition are appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

I've got the same scenario...

If you pull the 3 little allen screws on the mount you'll see

they thred into a rubber cylender that should be secured into

a metal cup...My top rubber cylender was free of it's cup allowing it to

let the cluster bounce around. I tried glueing it but it didn't hold.

Next step is 2 part epoxy...zip ties got me back from Nova Scotia.

Can't wait to get this thing completely sorted out. I'm getting close!!!

Shure is fun to ride. The Ducati now seems....too stupid..fun but stupid.

The Sport 1100i instrument panel gets floppy too. So do the ECU mounts as the rubber unbonds from the metal. I've had reasonably good luck using superglue to rebond the parts. Eventually, the rubber just deteriorates beyond repair though and the part has to be replaced. Because I'm a notoriously cheap bastard and the the MG parts tend to have astronomical prices, I expect tthat I will use pieces of fuel line for the rubber parts when the replacement becomes necessary.

The Sport 1100i instrument panel gets floppy too. So do the ECU mounts as the rubber unbonds from the metal. I've had reasonably good luck using superglue to rebond the parts. Eventually, the rubber just deteriorates beyond repair though and the part has to be replaced. Because I'm a notoriously cheap bastard and the the MG parts tend to have astronomical prices, I expect tthat I will use pieces of fuel line for the rubber parts when the replacement becomes necessary.

58468[/snapback]

Um, just out of curiosity: why isn't anyone using rubber cement? Go to any dive shop; they'll have little cans of the neoprene variety suited to gluing the neoprene mounts.

NB: once you open the can, it's shelf life is finite. Use it to fix everything you can as fast as you can, & reseal it. Be prepared to toss it & buy a new can the next time you go to use it. :glare:

Next step: where can we source urethane stock to make replacement mounts that will last?

Ride on!

:bike:

Um, just out of curiosity: why isn't anyone using rubber cement? Go to any dive shop; they'll have little cans of the neoprene variety suited to gluing the neoprene mounts.

NB: once you open the can, it's shelf life is finite. Use it to fix everything you can as fast as you can, & reseal it. Be prepared to toss it & buy a new can the next time you go to use it.  :glare:

Next step: where can we source urethane stock to make replacement mounts that will last?

Ride on!

:bike:

58495[/snapback]

My favorite on line hardware store- McMaster-Carr. In fact I bought some n-butyl rod with a hole through it from them to cut up and make a dandy bushing for the rear crossover mount.

My favorite on line hardware store-  McMaster-Carr.  In fact I bought some n-butyl rod with a hole through it from them to cut up and make a dandy bushing for the rear crossover mount.

58506[/snapback]

That is a neat web site. I linked it to your quote, just to be helpful. :bier:

Looks like page 1220 might have the best options.

58533[/snapback]

Thanks for your replies on the problem. My question was worth the link to the hardware supplier. My LeMans is in for service at the dealer. It is still under warranty, so I asked about the floopy instrument problem and was encouraged when the technician seemed to agree that it wasn't a normal condition. I'm getting the impression that it's a bit difficult getting Guzzi to cover much warrranty stuff - seems like the limitations exclude a lot. I won't be surprised to be told that the rubber instrument mounts are something in the "Consumables not included in warranty" category. Thanks again for the help.

Jim