cracked intake boots

bigbikerrick

today I noticed the rubber intake boots between the throttle body and the intake manifold has cracks running alongside the clamps alll around the rubber boots. Is this common to these bikes? mine is an 03( really an 02) with a tick over 4000 miles on it. Is there a better replacement available, or a repair? :(:(

Guest rollingthunder

Its a common problem as far as I've heard - I'll be replacing mine soon as I think they're leaking air (inwards), causing a slight misfire at 3000-3500 rpm. I've read somewhere that a similar size automotive radiator hose can be utilised, although I can't comment on the longevity of that option.

I'd be interested to hear of other solutions before I buy genuine parts for mine!

All the best,

RT

yep, mine went pretty early on although I rode for a good 12000 miles before changing them, but by then the cracks were getting steadily worse but no effects on running. I then fitted a new set and its been fine for the last 5000 miles, easy job to do and not too expensive if I remember right.

Mal :helmet:

Guest Nogbad

Mine has cracks too, but they are neither all the way through, or getting worse. Gives me nostagia for my old commie MZ! All the rubber on that used to crack and fall apart.

today I noticed the rubber intake boots between the throttle body and the intake manifold has cracks running alongside the clamps alll around the rubber boots. Is this common to these bikes? mine is an 03( really an 02) with a tick over 4000 miles on it. Is there a better replacement available, or a repair? :(  :(

58545[/snapback]

Hi, I don't really understand what part is cracking, my english is not so good, but having a V11 Le Mans with 12500km I am interested, could you post some pictures? thanks

The cracks don't generally penetrate too far into the rubber. I think a treatment of Armor All or a layer of Scotchcote to preserve the surface is probably sufficient until you have either 5 years or about 80,000 miles on them. I replaced mine at 56,000 miles on my Sport 1100i, but the cracking was only about 1/4 to 1/2 way through the rubber. I would guess that heat and ozone and the major culprits here. Air leaks are slightly more probable at the gaskets than the intake boots judging from I've seen other Guzzi owners go through on some of the older bikes. The boots aren't cheap either, I seem to recall popping about $70 for a pair of them.

Hi, I don't really understand what part is cracking, my english is not so good, but having a V11 Le Mans with 12500km I am interested, could you post some pictures? thanks

58553[/snapback]

The rubber tube that connects the throttle body and the cylinder (in the red circle):

intake.jpg

mine cracked through at 6000 miles, sounded like a compressor at tickover, it first I thought the head was loose. took about an hour to change the pair

58553[/snapback]

the part that has cracks is the rubber tube where the gas/air mixture goes into the cylinder, on each side of the motorcycle. Im sorry, but I dont have a digital camera right now.

the part that has cracks is the rubber tube where the gas/air mixture goes into the cylinder, on each side of the motorcycle. Im sorry, but I dont have a digital camera right now.

58574[/snapback]

Understood, thanks a lot for the explanation. Cracks in that rubber might be a problem, it was on my California II, after 20 years, and they were in a very bad condition. I would not worry too much, and ,if they have to be replaced, it is not a long work.

Guest rosso mandello

Mine cracked too, 12000 km, no big deal to change them, about 12 euro and 15 minutes work. ciao Mogens.

today I noticed the rubber intake boots between the throttle body and the intake manifold has cracks running alongside the clamps alll around the rubber boots. Is this common to these bikes? mine is an 03( really an 02) with a tick over 4000 miles on it. Is there a better replacement available, or a repair? :(  :(

58545[/snapback]

Thanks to everyone for the replies and encouragement, If anyone has information on what radiator hose(from what car) fits it perfectly please post it here, I think a radiator hose that will withstand the hot underhood environment for many years without cracking will probably outlive most of us older Guzzisti! LOL. :bike:

Yep I have noticed that on my 1100i sport , Well a small tip is to keep cleaning and rub them over with a thin layer of Vaseline (or Silicone) every week or so

to preserve their lifetime for longer.I changed mine before 10K km and still are OK with this treatment.,

I'd hate to put oem parts on my bike that are no better than the junk I'm replacing.

58781[/snapback]

On my V65 I extended the life by laminating some nylon cloth on with wetsuit cement.

Wider hose clamps also helped.

It was ugly, but doubled the life.

Now I am more vain, so silicone greasing once a month may be a better idea.

The V11 manifold connectors are much better made than the V65 ones.

I think everyone with visual cracks should order a pair to reduce down time waiting for Guzzi to deliver when they are leaking air.

In fact everyone should get a second parts bike. :grin:

Now, to practice what I preach. :drink:

PS I wonder if the BMW ones are any better?