Oil Leak

Guest Nogbad

Remove alternator cover. (4 x 5mm allen bolts.)

Remove stator, (3 x 4mm allen bolts.) and hang to one side.

Undo nut, (22mm?) that retains rotor and remove along with washer underneath.

Remove rotor. Ducati rotors usually just slip off. Place somewhere where it can't pick up ferous crap.

Pluck out old seal with seal hook or screwdriver.

Install new seal.

Reverse above instructions.

Go ride.

Do you check your oil level with the dipstick screwed in or resting on the threads?

Pete

Guest Nogbad

Do you check your oil level with the dipstick screwed in or resting on the threads?

Pete

58697[/snapback]

Always with the bike held upright and the dipstick screwed fully home.

No, and no. Sounds complicated. I guess I'm gonna squirt it with Jizer, pressure wash the mess off and trade it in tomorrow for that Buell. Hell, for F**Ks sake, the bike is only 5 years old with 10K on the clock. The oil seals should last longer than that.

58668[/snapback]

In fairness to oil seals, they do require to be kept 'oiled'. If you've only done 10k miles in 5 years, chances are that the bike has stood around for some time without running, so the seals will very likely have shrunk, hardened and become 'non-seals'! If you don't use a bike very often, it should still be started, run for a while and allowed to get up to running temperature. The best antidote is to take the bike out for an hour or so at least once a month, then clean it and dry it off.

The problem with seals isn't confined to Guzzis - if you buy and Buell and don't use it, you'll get the same problems.

Perhaps not what you needed to hear, but hey, a bike's for life, not just for Christmas!

Robin

Guest Nogbad

The problem with seals isn't confined to Guzzis - if you buy and Buell and don't use it, you'll get the same problems.

Robin

58856[/snapback]

You misunderstand me sir! I use the blessed thing extensively and all the time. I bought it at just over 3 years old with "only" 2200 on the clock, AND that was with two previous owners. I bought it in June '04 and have done 8000 miles since, which I think is a reasonable mileage. My average journey length is 45 miles, and takes in motorway as well as rural and urban roads. It gets ridden in the rain regularly as well.

Do you think the low mileage in the 1st 3+ years could have something to do with the problem then? I am afraid a really expensive hard to get at seal will let go.

Why don't you just sell/trade it and buy the Buell 'Neckbolt' or whatever their current model is called? You're obviously not happy with the machine and don't trust it so it's not the bike for you. Get something else. :huh2:

As for expensive, hard to get at seals? I don't think there are any on a Guzzi but if you mean something like a rear mainseal? Well, they very, very rarely let go although they are often diagnosed as having blown when in fact it's the breather pipe weeping. If you do have one let go though dropping the engine only takes a couple of hours, it takes longer to do the valves on an RSV or Otto-Valvole Deadshit! You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Pete

Why don't you just sell/trade it and buy the Buell 'Neckbolt' or whatever their current model is called? You're obviously not happy with the machine and don't trust it so it's not the bike for you. Get something else. :huh2:

As for expensive, hard to get at seals? I don't think there are any on a Guzzi but if you mean something like a rear mainseal? Well, they very, very rarely let go although they are often diagnosed as having blown when in fact it's the breather pipe weeping. If you do have one let go though dropping the engine only takes a couple of hours, it takes longer to do the valves on an RSV or Otto-Valvole Deadshit! You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Pete

58859[/snapback]

Well said Pete! we gotta keep things in proper prespective..... :grin: Ride On !!!

You misunderstand me sir! I use the blessed thing extensively and all the time. I bought it at just over 3 years old with "only" 2200 on the clock, AND that was with two previous owners. I bought it in June '04 and have done 8000 miles since, which I think is a reasonable mileage. My average journey length is 45 miles, and takes in motorway as well as rural and urban roads. It gets ridden in the rain regularly as well.

Do you think the low mileage in the 1st 3+ years could have something to do with the problem then? I am afraid a really expensive hard to get at seal will let go.

58857[/snapback]

My mistake - thought you had done only 10000 in 5 years! As others have said, seals don't often go, but that doesn't mean they DON'T fail. You might just be the unlucky one, as I was with my MGS01 (leaked oil from both head gaskets from day one! :(

Regardless, I'd be sorry to think you binned the V11 for the sake of an oil leak - sure it can be rectified, and IMHO the V11 is a terrific bike when it's set up properly. I wouldn't trade my Scura (with factory race chip) for a second pension - 22000 miles in 3 years, and still going like a steam train (but without the smoke and hot ashes :grin: )

Good luck with the bike!

Regards,

Robin

Guest Nogbad

58859[/snapback]

I am happy with it when it's working! I suppose there is possibly an issue of trusting it, but give it its due, it hasn't left me by the side of the road yet. I guess I worry a bit about what was done to it before I had it, given I found swarf in the sump from an incompetently installed "on the piss" nutsert in the oil drain.

I accept Robin's well made point that not using a bike is probably one of the worst things you can do to it. I have no idea how the bike came to have only 2200 miles between 2 owners in over 3 years! But maybe I do. My brother used to buy bikes and never ride them, maybe it's a common affliction!

It has loosened up nicely now though.