02 LeMans side covers

Jim Malm

I just noted another problem with my newly acquired 2002 LeMans. Both side covers are cracked around the screws that are directly on top of the side covers toward the middle. Is this a common problem? Since my bike is still under warranty, I asked the dealer, Moto International, who sold it to the original owner if the problem might be covered under warranty. The service manager told me that, because those screws can be over/under tightened by owners, it was unlikely that the problem would be covered under warranty, but he would be happy to send photos to MGNA if I wanted to do that. I pretty much decided to drop the warranty issue, but thought checking with those of you out there who may have had some experience with this problem before fixing it on my own. Thanks.

Jim

The main cause of these things cracking is that the fuel tank rests on them, and causes pressure on the scews. The fix is to add a couple washers at the back bolt of the fuel tank, raising it up and away from contact with the side covers.

Ciao, Steve G.