crash protector

bigbikerrick

Ive seen a couple of pictures of a white plastic "crash protector" that sticks out from the head guard on a v11. sort of like the frame savers readily available for japaneese sportbikes. Yes they look fugly, bit they seem to be able to provide good protection in a tip over. anyone have any experience with these and where they can be purchased? also what usually gets damaged if a v11 falls over as its parked on the sidestand..... :unsure:

Ive seen a couple of pictures of a white plastic "crash protector" that sticks out from the head guard on a v11. sort of like the frame savers readily available for japaneese sportbikes. Yes they look  fugly, bit they seem to be able to provide good protection in a tip over. anyone have any experience with these and where they  can be purchased? also what usually gets damaged if a v11 falls over as  its parked on the sidestand..... :unsure:

58825[/snapback]

Hi Rick,

You can purchase the crash bobbins at either http://www.firestartergarage.it/ or at http://www.rossopuroitalia.it/start.htm.

I'll probably throw some cash in that direction soon 'cos a complete headjob (I'm talking about the motorcycle! :D ) is far more expensive than a pair of plastic thingies I assume (Dunno the price).

I tipped my bike when I was about to open my gate and the damage done was a broken indicator and some scratches on the valve cover, mirror and clutch lever. My ego also got a scratch and I can easily live without that....

Best regards

Søren

Guest Nogbad

I did have a quote for the Rossopuro bobbins, was about 140 Euro the pair plus shipping.

I was intending to do a trackday but for one reason and another didn't get round to it so I never purchased the bobbins. My worry with the bobbins is whether the tiny M6 rocker cover bolts are enough to take the inevitable bending forces. The standard skid rail is a lot closer to the bolts, so wouldn't tend to lever them out in the way a large protruding bobbin might.

Hi Rick,

You can purchase the crash bobbins at either http://www.firestartergarage.it/ or at http://www.rossopuroitalia.it/start.htm.

I'll probably throw some cash in that direction soon 'cos a complete headjob (I'm talking about the motorcycle!  :D ) is far more expensive than a pair of plastic thingies I assume (Dunno the price).

I tipped my bike when I was about to open my gate and the damage done was a broken indicator and some scratches on the valve cover, mirror and clutch lever. My ego also got a scratch and I can easily live without that....

Best regards

Søren

58827[/snapback]

Thank you, Soren, I agree with you. we gotta protect our "heads" . Good head is hard to find! HeHehe... :grin:

Rick, I've have the Rosso-Puro's...frankly don't remember what I paid for them as got them through an acquaintance in Italy...they were one of the first sets. Had an earlier model Guzzi with the bar/flat type protectors, but still incurred cooling fin damage on tipover (just can't control the angle or size of scattered rocks). I've been told the white "bobbins" can be dyed to any color you wish, but have smashed enough bugs with them that they are not so white, now. Rosso-Puro quality very good. If you purchase them, be sure to locktite the slider bolt and check it periodically for tightness. Do not intend to test the elasticity/strength of the M6 bolts...but suspect four of them will take a pretty good whack. k

Rick, I've have the Rosso-Puro's...frankly don't remember what I paid for them as got them through an acquaintance in Italy...they were one of the first sets.  Had an earlier model Guzzi with the bar/flat type protectors, but still incurred cooling fin damage on tipover (just can't control the angle or size of scattered rocks).  I've been told the white "bobbins" can be dyed to any color you wish, but have smashed enough bugs with them that they are not so white, now.  Rosso-Puro quality very good.  If you purchase them, be sure to locktite the slider bolt and check it periodically for tightness.  Do not intend to test the elasticity/strength of the M6 bolts...but suspect four of them will take a pretty good whack.  k

58854[/snapback]

Sounds Good, I wonder if any place in the USA has them for sale?

I got to test the Billet aluminium head protectors late last year at the track. They didn't save the muffler rear brake leaver RH sparkplug and still managed to take some paint off the fron and rear fairings but they didn't get broken or torn (fibreglass on the 1100 sport) However the head and barell were completly untouched. This was a lowside comming out of a corner on the power as I was at the track it didn't have very far to fall. Undoubtely they saved me many thousands of dollars.

The only pictures I have seen of oggy knobs on Guzzis fit tem up towars the headstock. I think postioned there they will do probally less that the head protectors (and they are more expensive) athough if they stick out far enough may protect you bars. Ideally in conjuntion with the head protector a set of oggy knobs one down near the foot rest Super motard style and one around the top of the pillions foot rest would be ideal to protect the pegs and controls and the rear body work. I think however they will only be really effective on a lowside. On a high side they are likely to concentrate the force of the impact into whatever they are attached too and bend it ,240 kg would slap down pretty hard me thinks.

Here is a pic of the Rossopuro protectors.

Thankfully I have not had to test them yet but they are well built and look as though they will make a lot of difference if I had a minor spill.

Guy  :helmet:

58888[/snapback]

They look a little funny ,but I want some, Do you remember the price? are they available in the USA?

The crash bar shown does not look as the one provided by Stucchi, and it looks nice, where did you get that? will it fit on the Le Mans?

58884[/snapback]

Actually, I'm not sure where it comes from. I got it from my local dealer for just over $100 US.

It is VERY simple construction- if you like metalworking, you could make one yourself.

Not sure, but just from a cursory glance, it looks like it would fit the LeMans. The only problem I can see is if it interferes with the LeMans fairing. The bolt pattern will be the same.

Agostini has a good picture of the mounting on their website (under accessories for the V11 sport)