Fork oil

richard100t

I'm getting ready to change my fork oil soon & I bought a quart of Bel Ray 10w fork oil. I've been searching for opinions on what oil works best & what weight oil for what weight rider etc. I'm about 165lbs & I'm seeking an opinion (or two lol) on whether 10w is the right oil for me. Bel Ray is all I could find though.

I'm getting ready to change my fork oil soon & I bought a quart of Bel Ray 10w fork oil. I've been searching for opinions on what oil works best & what weight oil for what weight rider etc. I'm about 165lbs & I'm seeking an opinion (or two lol) on whether 10w is the right oil for me. Bel Ray is all I  could find though.

Afaik oil doesn't have to do with what height or weight is someone but with how well it will help all the inside components of the fork, to work properlly ,so your adjustments in comp,rebound, ect.ect. be effective.Use no other viscosity(and perhaps mark) than the ont that the constructor of the fork suggests.

Alot of people are recommended by "experts" to go with lighter oil than the ten weight that is specified for the Marzocchii.

From what I can tell, as a non-expert, the only reason to go lighter is if you have already dialed your adjusters all the way out to minimize damping.

Likewise if you dialed all the way in, you might want to go heavier.

I imagine at 165# you might want less compression damping than can be dialed, and might try 7.5 Weight.

But it would depend on where your adjusters are now....assuming they are well set...

But it would depend on where your adjusters are now....assuming they are well set...

59189[/snapback]

I think I have the compression & rebound about right where I like it. You're right though I dont weigh enough to really compress the front end much if at all. The rear looks like its tricky to adjust. I'll need to do some dissasembly to adjust the preload of the spring.