In search of taller gearing for v-11 sport

Guest jamesmachine

Only part of it. The other part would be you're quoting 883 Sportster mileage figures for the 1200!.. ;)

I've owned an 883 Sportster and it returned 50 to 55 mpg for me.

A good friend of mine has an '07 XL50 1200cc Sportster that returns 45 to 50 mpg. I saw it for my self on a 700 mile trip with him last October.

My Nero Corsa returned 37mpg regularly on that trip, while his 1200 Sportster regularly returned 48mpg.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nero Corsa [17" wheel w/ lower profile but wider tire]: (12.4*8000)/(168*4.1737)= 141.5(plus many digits) = 139mph claimed top speed

Sport 1100 [18" wheel w/ narrower but taller profile tire]: (12.75*8000)/(168*4.0783)= 148.9(plus many digits) = 150mph claimed top speed

Cool formula!

Thanks, gents.

In case anyone cares, here are some more numbers:

Assuming tire size is really as advertised, the V11 Sport with popular undersize 160/60-17 tire would result in:

[17" wheel w/ low profile and narrow tire]: (12.28*8000)/(168*4.1737)= 140.1 MPH

And the V11 Sport with OEM 170/60-17 tire would result in:

(12.52*8000)/(168*4.1737)= 142.8 MPH

All well & good, & thank you very much for the hard data, and lest I sound critical w/ the next bit, let me assure you it's not intended as such in any way, I just feel that I should point out a small detail... you crossed up the overall drive ratios at the very last! :D

Easy to do in the heat of the moment; transcription errors are a particular plague of my own, so I totally understand... Let's try those calcs over, shall we? :nerd:

Nero Corsa [17" wheel w/ lower profile but wider tire]: (12.4*8000)/(168*4.1737)= 141.5(plus many digits) = 139mph claimed top speed

Sport 1100 [18" wheel w/ narrower but taller profile tire]: (12.75*8000)/(168*4.0783)= 148.9(plus many digits) = 150mph claimed top speed

By "claimed top speed," I'm using figures drawn from memory that either originated w/ the moto press or with the factory. Sue me. ;)

Anyway, I'd say that once the correct figures are dropped in, your (Edelbrock's) formula works out pretty close to "empirical" data.

:thumbsup:

Crap! :unsure:

Thanks for the correction. Yeah, it was 2am here and it looks like I was a little punchy when making the final calculations...

You are correct, the numbers make the Sport 1100 out to have a "slight" top speed advantage.

If I remember the magazine articles and brochures from back at the time, I recall them claiming 145mph for the Sport 1100. 139 has been claimed as top speed for the V11 by several magazines, IIRC.

I've owned an 883 Sportster and it returned 50 to 55 mpg for me.

A good friend of mine has an '07 XL50 1200cc Sportster that returns 45 to 50 mpg. I saw it for my self on a 700 mile trip with him last October.

My Nero Corsa returned 37mpg regularly on that trip, while his 1200 Sportster regularly returned 48mpg.

I had a 1200cc Buell that easily got 50 mpg. H-D may be a backwards company in many respects but they have a very efficient engine design that gets great fuel mileage and low emmisions. Guzzi could learn a few things from H-D, as long as they don't pick up on H-Ds bad habits as well(like oil leaks).

I had a 1200cc Buell that easily got 50 mpg. H-D may be a backwards company in many respects but they have a very efficient engine design that gets great fuel mileage and low emmisions. Guzzi could learn a few things from H-D, as long as they don't pick up on H-Ds bad habits as well(like oil leaks).

Yeah, yeah, I know: in fact, I've been the one preaching the "Guzzi needs to lose the 1940's hemi-head technology and get a more efficient combustion chamber like H-D did 20-odd years ago" gospel for what, the past 2 years? Hellooo, McFly! Is anyone listening? (sigh)

Sorry, don't mean to go off on you. And yes, my crack about the "quoting 883 numbers" wasn't exactly factual, but it was played for laughs. Sue me! :lol:

All of this brings us back to the "cleaning up the squish band" topic, since that will not only help alleviate the pinging problems many have encountered, but will also generate better fuel mileage. Hey, a mod that pays for itself! How can you not love it? :thumbsup: