V11 Ballabio - starting

Guest Britcheflee

Guest Britcheflee

Excuse my ignorance here - when starting my Ballabio there is a 'Choke' which you turn - on the left side - (this probably is not a choke per se but an enrichment device or whatever) - anyway, I turn the thing and it does not stay in place - just rotates back to where it was....am I doing something wrong here or is there a problem with this?

Lee

Lee, welcome to the weird and wonderful world of Moto Guzzi. There is an easy fix for what you are experiencing. You simply swap the spring on the cold start lever with that on the seat release catch. You should be able to do this in ten minutes. There are quite a few posts on this topic already.

Rob

I recently did this very swap.

Spring Swap

Results were perfect. When removing the original seat latch spring you will find it won't fit over the crimped nipple on the end of the cable. You have to fiddle the cable through the coils of the spring and then screw the spring off.

The fast idle spring fits straight over the seat latch cable nipple.

It's a fast idle lever, I understand the same as raising your throttle stops. I don't use mine. I'm a start and ride (gently at first) guy. There are differing opions on what is best for the engine.

I'm not sure on the advisablity of riding with an artifically high lower rev limit as will effect engine braking on slowing down etc requiring more brake and clutch work, might as well juggle the throttle when required - but warms up really quickly so of minor matter anyway

My v11 needs a good twist of the fast idle lever EVERY time I start it. It doesnt matter if the engine is warm or not. I need to leave it on for about 15-30 sec's before the engine is able to idle by itself, or else it just stops. Why is this? I understand that a lot you guys never use the lever at all. I also experience occasional hiccups when cruising at 2800-3100 rpms. Is there a connection here?

Dont think it is any wrong with the bike, and my previous Beemer was the same.

Maybe its just because I am such a cold and unsensitive guy?

I have also got a slightly low idle at 950-1000 when the engine is warm. This is a bit low, isnt it?

Guest ratchethack
I have also got a slightly low idle at 950-1000 when the engine is warm. This is a bit low, isnt it?

59442[/snapback]

Yep. Just curious - Have you noticed your low oil pressure light come on at this low idle? I've seen 1050 +/- 50 recommended. I go for 1100 (as indicated on the Veglia tach).

I also experience occasional hiccups when cruising at 2800-3100 rpms. Is there a connection here?

59442[/snapback]

No connection. The cruising hiccup is an ECU software issue apparently. I have it too. It's reported to be due to the ECU being unable to cope with play in the timing chain slightly affecting the phase sensor. Some bikes are worse than others, mine isn't bad enough to worry about. If it gets worse, I would probably investigate the condition of the timing chain and tensioner before starting to think about ECU swaps.

I had a little cold start trouble when I first got my bike and was fiddling with the "choke control" as part of the start drill. Then I simply started cracking the throttle about 1/8 turn and no more problems. Starts immediately hot or cold and after a few seconds of fast idle we're off to an easy warmup in low gear for a block or two.

Guest Britcheflee

Well, that was a pretty easy fix!!! I actually cut a little off the spring which goes down on the choke return section - stays in position and the bike starts a lot quicker than before - I hate churning away trying to start anything - still got to hand it to my 850T. though..that thing starts hot or cold the instant you touch the starter button!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the input....would probably be looking to graft another hand onto my left hand otherwise!!!!

Guest Britcheflee
Well, that was a pretty easy fix!!!  I actually cut a little off the spring which goes down on the choke return section - stays in position and the bike starts a lot quicker than before - I hate churning away trying to start anything - still got to hand it to my 850T. though..that thing starts hot or cold the instant you touch the starter button!!!! 

Anyway, thanks for the input....would probably be looking to graft another hand onto my left hand otherwise!!!!

59465[/snapback]

To clarify, I did exchange the springs.